Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Prism DScope III - New Owner Questions
Prism DScope III - New Owner Questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2018, 01:19 PM   #11
thermionic is offline thermionic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

To summarise: it looks like the DScope is pretty decent (as Ruari suggested might be the case). The guy who sold it deserves good feedback :-)

I am very grateful for the advice received. Thank you very much!

NB - out of interest, does anyone know what Prism charge to callibrate it? Bit of a luxury, just curious.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:58 PM   #12
ruairi is offline ruairi
diyAudio Member

I know that the U.S. pricing for a Calibration is $400. I don't know how involved that is but I'm sure Prism HQ will answer that for you. One nice thing about dScope is that it's light and compact so shipping within the U.K. should be cost effective.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:59 PM   #13
ruairi is offline ruairi
diyAudio Member

Oh, and congrats! I think if you have a known good UPV in house (deeply envious of that BTW) then some sanity checks between the units should suffice. I'd do a frequency response loopback and check levels (both generator and measurements).
Old 14th January 2018, 03:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Ruari,

A big reason for getting the Dscope is that the UPV isn't particularly friendly for my assistant to use, and it is also overkill for most applications. Recent quote for UPV calibration was £1070 - and a fixed price repair is over £2,200. As you can imagine, the Dscope will enable us to reserve the UPV strictly for when it's needed. It seems a lot easier to run routines on as well.

No doubt I will be back here asking Qs when we are using Dscope in earnest! The webinars are a stroke of genius. Would it be that difficult for R+S to make some? They do for their other gear...
Old 20th January 2018, 03:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Update:

Just wasted a day of my own + assistant's time trying to get the DScope working with 3 different PCs.... XP didn't seem happy to run the SW (I only tried one version). Win7 Pro, on 2 different machines, refused to load the Prism USB driver.. I even tried copying driver onto a stick and transferring it from a working Win7-Ultimate machine, but this wouldn't work. V1.45 would not work on a desktop Win7-Pro or Dell Laptop Win7-Pro...

Eventually, having wasted many hours in frustration, I simply installed V1.43 and it works perfectly.... Still have no idea what issue is. When I first tested the machine I had it working in under a minute... This was on my 'email' PC, on which I write now. No other PC in office wanted to install / run driver for V1.45...

Quick question: Is there a way to get it to repeat FR sweeps (or a constant signal), in order to 'zero' EQ knobs on pot shafts? The default FR preset sweeps 20-20 and then stops...so you have to keep hitting 'start' every time you adjust an EQ or crossover pot... The UPV has live FFT function, where a 20-20K signal is generated, enabling realtime adjustment of EQ controls in seconds - giving v. precise alignment. Surely the DScope can do something similar?

Can the Dscope load WAVs and use them for the output signal? I wonder if I could program Dscope to do something similar...

Cheers,

edit: just found 'load user waveform' feature, answering my own question :-)

Last edited by thermionic; 20th January 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 20th January 2018, 04:35 PM   #16
ruairi is offline ruairi
diyAudio Member

Bummer on the install issues, I've never had that.

Yes, you are looking for a feature call "Bin Centres", where a multi tone is used and hits the FFT bins perfectly. I've used it a lot (Edit : Section 4.5.1 in the manual).

I meant to tell you to be sure to do the help tutorials provided in software, they got me up and running on all of the main tests I needed for day to day work.

Last edited by ruairi; 20th January 2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 20th January 2018, 05:02 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks. My bad for not taking time out for the tutorials - will do. Time is precious, and I wasted an enormous amount of it unsuccessfully installing it on 3 different machines. Am philosophical about it, though - as I understand it's a very niche (and mature) product, so you can't expect Prism to try it with every PC in the world.
Old 20th January 2018, 05:29 PM   #18
ruairi is offline ruairi
diyAudio Member

No criticism implied about the tutorials, time is short for everyone. I only just cracked the manual the other night to search for a function that I needed (plotting individual distortion harmonics for transformer characterization).

I don't pretend to understand the world of PC, my one PC (a boot camped Mac Mini) takes more maintenance than the other 7 Apple devices in the house combined. Those battles lines are well drawn so no need for me to re-litigate. That said dScope on the PC has been flawless so I'm grateful for that.

Prism DScope III - New Owner QuestionsHide this!Advertise here!