Square hole drill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder how they actually work?

Dead simple, the drill removes the largest part of the waste, and the chisel part squares the hole.

It's a mortise drill, used for making mortise (and tenon) joints in wood. For the tenon part you use a tenon saw, basically a fine toothed back saw.

I used them back in school woodwork classes back in the 60's (I still have the stool I made), and they weren't new then by any means.

Mortisers were a big new invention around the 1850s. That was the start of the machine era with the cotton gin, interchangable parts etc.

The first ones were foot powered chisels.

Mine is one of the more modern electric drill and hand crank. Easy to pick up replacement chisels locally.

My grandfather did use to chisel them by hand. His table saw was built from a Sears & Roebuck arbor and an old adding machine stand. But then he was born in the late 1800's.

Today I have tools that will punch square holes in steel.

Hooray for power tools!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.