DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Keeping the menus open

[..]
Would it be possible to have the test settings in a panel that stays open? Maybe grayed out when testing but save several clicks when changing frequency or level.
[..]
Hi Demian,

Yes, in the next version that's possible (not yet uploaded). Apart from frequency and level, are there other parameters you like to change during data acquisition (and take effect in the next round)? Note that changing and validation of parameters in the Sound card menu is not possible when the ADC and DAC are busy, but keeping this menu open or switching to another menu page, is no problem.

Cheers, E.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What I would like is the ability to set a level and frequency watching the (auto-ranged?) waveform display to see dynamically what is happening before starting a measurement run. This would be as close as possible to what the experience is using a stand alone instrument. I often am doing just this with unknown devices on the bench. I rarely change soundcard settings. I do that when mixing disparate sources like Bluetooth to analog in.

I find this to be a useful tool for overcoming some ASIO limitations and using devices that don't support ASIO like Bluetooth dongles: VB-Audio Virtual Apps

new version

That would be great. then you know you will have a decent measurement, not clipped or no signal.
Hi Demian,

Please have some more patience with me, as I'm still working on it and not only on the RMS topic, but also on a calibration procedure and better handling of ASIO control panels (ACP). Especially the latter is a PITA, as all the ACP's out there behave so differently (some are "modal", others are "modeless" -that's MS programmers jargon- and a few of them have even a "child" window). So it is not that easy to transfer automatically the settings from any ACP to DiAna.

Cheers, E.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Edmond:
i'm plenty patient. (Also I have been traveling) Take your time. The ASIO UI integration must be a pain. I noticed that the EMU 1212M did not work right on Win 10 but fine on XP. On Win 10 it comes up as "illegal" I think. In any case XP works better for measurements. Win 10 just doesn't get out of the way.
-Demian

Hopefully I can get wineasio working on Linux and then show others how to do it.

This is in the wineasio readme:

Wineasio by default uses 32 bit float as sample format (the native format used
by Jack), if this causes a problem for an ASIO host, wineasio can be built to
use 32 bit integer by defining the ASIOST32INT variable. Do this by defining
ASIOST32INT in the source code or by passing it as an argument to the compiler.

Do you think this would be a problem? Reaper detects wineasio but Diana does not. When I click control panel it says "erroneous driver number". However in Reaper it brings up the Jack control panel (I don't know if that is something Reaper does itself or that Wineasio does).

Last edited:
Hopefully I can get wineasio working on Linux and then show others how to do it.

This is in the wineasio readme:

"Wineasio by default uses 32 bit float as sample format (the native format used
by Jack), if this causes a problem for an ASIO host, wineasio can be built to
use 32 bit integer by defining the ASIOST32INT variable. Do this by defining
ASIOST32INT in the source code or by passing it as an argument to the compiler.
"

Do you think this would be a problem? Reaper detects wineasio but Diana does not.
Hi Kean,

Yes, this would be a problem, as currently DiAna only supports these four formats:
ASIOSTInt16LSB
ASIOSTInt24LSB
ASIOSTInt24MSB
ASIOSTInt32LSB
Thus no floating point formats (ASIOSTFloat32LSB or ASIOSTFloat64LSB).

When I click control panel it says "erroneous driver number". However in Reaper it brings up the Jack control panel (I don't know if that is something Reaper does itself or that Wineasio does).
Currently, you will get this error message in three cases:
1. When loading the ASIO driver.
2. When initializing the driver.
3. When closing the driver.
Admittedly, this might be confusing.
In the meantime, I've already improved the support of the control panel, but I also will make a distinction between above error conditions.
An addition, I will (try to) implement the ASIOSTFloat32LSB format too, though I can't guaranty it will work correctly, as I don't have a suitable sound card or driver to test it.

Cheers, E.

Is Diana 32-bit? If so, I probably need to get the 32-bit wineasio working. I have only gotten the 64-bit version working currently.

Hi Kean,

Yes, DiAna is a 32 bits program.
If I open and close the preferences dialogue a few times it will eventually crash with "invalid window handle" in the debugger.

It's hard to comment on this problem, as I have no experience with Wine. Does the program crash at opening and closing of any page of the preferences dialogue or only with the Sound card page? In case of the latter, it might have something to do with a wrong ASIO driver.

Cheers, E.

chirps; new version

What do you think about adding a sine chirp measurement so that high power measurements could be taken at a low duty cycle? This would allow testing powerful amps if you don't have an enormous PSU handy, or testing performance at a given dynamic range.

Hi Kean,

That would imply a totally new project, as chirps are incompatible with the current architecture. Remember, DiAna is designed to detect very low levels of harmonics, even far below the noise level. That means it has to analyze the signal continuously and for an extended period of time.

BTW, I'm still busy with a new version. It features Vrms or dBV units, improved support of ASIO control panels, a dedicated calibration menu and the ability to monitor the signal while the preference menu is still open (you even can change the amplitude and frequency on the fly, that is, while it is running in monitor mode).

Hopefully it will be ready next week.

Cheers, E.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That sounds really great. I'm waiting with high anticipation. I find that I am often looking at waveforms in real time as I adjust circuits. being able to see what is happening really helps.

When will we be able to send money and get the other features opened up?

Maybe 0.1-1 second. It doesn't have to be very short, just short enough to allow higher power briefly. Then you can use a smaller load resistor and/or PSU. And if you live in Texas, not overstress the AC.

Maybe a faint pilot tone can be used between bursts if it is needed for synchronization.