DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Hi Edmond
making the DAC calibration value similar to ADC makes sense.
OK, has been done already, though not yet uploaded.
In testing RTX , THD+ Noise value is not as I see in other software. But THD seems matching ?
Hot sure why you found different values, but thing is for sure: these values highly depends on the bandwidth. Perhaps that explains the discrepancy.
I have not found any new issues
Glad to hear. And the old issues? Also gone?
Still export of THD harmonic records will be preferable for users to appreciate any such application.
I'm working on that.

Cheers, E.

I don't have any problem as is, because after your posts, I have understand the procedure.
Hi Manolis,

Nevertheless, I've changed it, as it makes more sense and prevents confusion.
But, what you mean with that I have underline done? Can you give us an example?
That too is confusion, sorry. I tried to say that the DAC calibration factor should treated the same way, that is, should not be inverted any longer . That's all.
By the way, I tried the new DiAna version, and I have an error message at the startup of program "Failed to access info of driver nr 4. Error code: -3"
At the config file, there are the:
AsioDriverName=ASIO E-MU 0404 | USB
ASIOdriverNumber=4
If I press OK, then the program runs well.
"Failed to access info of driver nr 4. Error code: -3" means the 4th driver produces an error code.
The ini file tells you which driver has been selected. In this case ASIO E-MU 0404. But something is not clear to me: as for error reporting, driver numbers start with 1, while internally and in the ini file, counting drivers start at 0 (that a C language convention). So "ASIOdriverNumber=4". means the 5th driver has been selected, while error msg said it was the 4th driver.
How may drivers have you installed? And are there really (at least) five drivers?
Also, do the other drivers work properly?

Cheers, E

I'm glad to hear that.
The setting only depends on your needs, of course.
I don't have an RTX, but I can't imagine there are settings in particular appropriate for the RTX.

Cheers, E.

For some reason today MSE is now complaining about a Trojan in DiAna.exe - see screenshot below. In several years of use, DiAna is the only thing that has triggered MSE for me and this is a bit disconcerting! This seems to be unrelated to the initial ".exe in .zip" trigger??

On the other topic, I was inquiring about any necessary changes to the .ini file and preferences for the RTX. Things seemed to have evolved in the last several days and I found it hard to track it all to the current state.

I'll probably sit this one out until there is a quick start document or clear steps, and it no longer triggers my normally insensitive antivirus utility.

BK

Attachments

• trogan.JPG
    trogan.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 265
@Edmond,

Bob's distortion magnifier subtracts some of the fundamental from the output of the DUT using the differential inputs of an op amp and the low distortion signal generator used in the test. Fundamental subtraction. he includes a simple phase shift circuit and amplitude control at one of the op amp inputs. Finally the two signal, DUT and DM are mixed to a known ratio.

The idea is to reduce the fundamental to distortion ratio and then use a conventional distortion analyzer for the measurement. One would do the math to get the analysis. It can increase the measurement range of the analysis by several orders of magnitude.

I don't have a sound card good enough for DiAna so didn't bother to calibrate.
Just checking Diana out.

Like you I was late with the RTX and missed out on the group buy. I can't justify the full cost without...., it could mean divorce for misappropriating funds.

Besides I have a Shibasoku 725C distortion/wave analyzer which measures much much lower than the RTX. I use a sound card off the monitor readout of the 725C for FFT of the residual. For this any old sound card will do.

Unfortunately DiAna is only as good as the hardware. I have some ideas to get around this if they ever get off the ground.

Bob's DM would work very well in combination with RTX for lower distortion measurements.

I'm okay with the conversion factors/methods for calibrating DiAna as they are. I think a manual would help with this. Maybe clear up some confusion. But only if you can get anyone to RTFM.

Cheers,

For some reason today MSE is now complaining about a Trojan in DiAna.exe - see screenshot below. In several years of use, DiAna is the only thing that has triggered MSE for me and this is a bit disconcerting! This seems to be unrelated to the initial ".exe in .zip" trigger??
Yesterday, the file was clean according to MSE. Today however, MSE also falsely identifies the file on my PC as a trojan. Totally ridiculous, of course. The real problem is that programmers not backed by a large company can't pay an army of lawyers to tell MS (and other vendors of virus scanners) to shut their stupid mouth. Yes, large software houses also struggles with false positives, but do have the means and power to force those sloppy anti virus companies to make an exception for their software, i.e. to suppress false positives warnings.
On the other topic, I was inquiring about any necessary changes to the .ini file and preferences for the RTX. Things seemed to have evolved in the last several days and I found it hard to track it all to the current state.
I'll probably sit this one out until there is a quick start document or clear steps, and it no longer triggers my normally insensitive antivirus utility.
BK
Sure, just wait when things have stabilized and their is no need any longer to fiddle around with the ini file (I also would hate that).

Cheers, E.

Edmond I've had problems with uninstall of some sound card drivers not removing themselves from the ASIO registry folder. It is possible DiAna seeing soundcard drivers which are not there. I had this problem with ASIO myself. My code was listing and attempting to interface to non existent soundcard drivers. This didn't go over well. I had to manually delete the entries from the registry.

To make things worse EMU USB soundcards remove the registry listing when the USB cable is detached. The software may still have a record of the listing. ASIO is by far not perfect. The specification does not cover these events.

Cheers,

Yesterday, the file was clean according to MSE. Today however, MSE also falsely identifies the file on my PC as a trojan.
Cheers, E.

Edmond you compiled the exe with non Microsoft compiler. It's most likely not signed and this would be why MS thinks it's virus. If you compiled with an MS compiler I don't think this would be an issue as MS signs the exe.

Last edited:
External oscillator

Edmond,
The raises another question. Can DiAna be used with an external ultra low distortion oscillator rather than using the dac in a soundcard? How would the frequency setting work with an external osc.

That's certainly possible. The only thing you have to do is setting the frequency in the distortion menu to approximately to right value. In the pro version you also have to select "External sync" in the same menu.
FYI, "Internal sync" works faster as the frequency is already exactly known. In the demo version this option has been grayed out, as data is swapped via disk, which takes some time. During this time, the frequency of the sound card might have changed a little bit due to drift (which would introduce extra noise). Therefore only "External sync" is available in the demo version.

>"Unfortunately DiAna is only as good as the hardware. I have some ideas to get around this if they ever get off the ground."

No, DiAna does have a provision to lower the THD measurement floor: Measure the THD of the sound car alone (i.e loop back) and save the result. Go to File->Distortion->Save & Load Residual as... When done the "Ref=Sine" button becomes active.
Then do a THD measurement together with the DUT. One important thing: Keep the I/O levels of the ADC and DAC exactly the same! So you need an additional attenuator to equalize the levels. It only works when operating under the same conditions. When done, press the "Ref=Sine" button in order to subtract the distortion of the sound cards itself. The "Ref=Sine" button changes to the "Ref=File". If every went well, this leaves only the THD of the DUT. In real life however, mainly due to drift, this method only works to a certain extent: about 10 to 15dB improvement of the measuring floor can be obtained.
The pro version does it way better, though needs additional hardware. More on this another time.

Cheers, E.

Attachments

• External sync.jpg
    External sync.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Edmond I've had problems with uninstall of some sound card drivers not removing themselves from the ASIO registry folder. It is possible DiAna seeing soundcard drivers which are not there. I had this problem with ASIO myself. My code was listing and attempting to interface to non existent soundcard drivers. This didn't go over well. I had to manually delete the entries from the registry.
To make things worse EMU USB soundcards remove the registry listing when the USB cable is detached. The software may still have a record of the listing. ASIO is by far not perfect. The specification does not cover these events.
Cheers,

Indeed, DiAna does search the register in order to find drivers. This is standard and can't be done in another way.

Cheers, E.

Indeed, DiAna does search the register in order to find drivers. This is standard and can't be done in another way.

Cheers, E.

Of course. ASIO requires this. It's the very premise of the COM interface.

What if DiAna has searched the register, stored the results and then conditions changes. A USB sound card is unplugged and the driver is removed from registery.

This is what happens when an EMU usb sound card is unplugged.

Of course. ASIO requires this. It's the very premise of the COM interface.
What if DiAna has searched the register, stored the results and then conditions changes. A USB sound card is unplugged and the driver is removed from registery.
This is what happens when an EMU usb sound card is unplugged.
DiAna stores the name and driver number-1 of the last used audio card in the ini file. If you unplug the USB sound card and start diana again, which in turn scans the registry again, it doesn't find that card, of course. So what's the problem, am I missing something?

Cheers, E.

List of Harmonics

[...]
I would have preferred Harmonic values in the listing (statistics) as well. It should be possible to export as a text file with comments for recording the data for reference.
[...]

Re: export: I would vote for export option of data as a CSV or similar delimited file format. That way all your options for postprocessing are wide open.
[...]
Jan

would be great, indeed.
Pls consider an option to select the field separator for those people using a comma "," as decimal sign (default eg in Germany).
TIA
Ulli

To all,
Something like this: (see picture)
Cheers, E.

Attachments

• Statistics-4.jpg
    Statistics-4.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 217
Hi Manolis,
"Failed to access info of driver nr 4. Error code: -3" means the 4th driver produces an error code.
The ini file tells you which driver has been selected. In this case ASIO E-MU 0404. But something is not clear to me: as for error reporting, driver numbers start with 1, while internally and in the ini file, counting drivers start at 0 (that a C language convention). So "ASIOdriverNumber=4". means the 5th driver has been selected, while error msg said it was the 4th driver.
How may drivers have you installed? And are there really (at least) five drivers?
Also, do the other drivers work properly?

Cheers, E

Hi Edmond,
I have 5 asio drivers, but for the EMU one of them is right the 5th.
The 4th is foo_dsd_asio for using to foobar...this driver the DiAna reffers as reading error.

Anyway, I don't understand why this happening with the 1.46.7 version , since before (1.44.5) there is no any error like this.