Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

What tool do you wish you had bought sooner?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 06:07 PM   #41
GOR3 is offline GOR3  United States
diyAudio Member

The picture of George using the contractor's saw is right out of the OSHA compliance manual.
Old 10th November 2017, 06:38 PM   #42
yngvejos is offline yngvejos  Norway
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Wish I bought this earlier. Weller WD 1000.
Old 10th November 2017, 07:05 PM   #43
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

I have many more. Tales from the Back Yard Speaker Lab.....and the Front Yard Chassis Shop

I think the breaker box cover I made out of cardboard with a skull and crossbones drawn on it and the words LIVE...480 Volts...Stay the F%&K OUT! should have been the poster for compliance.

I made it somewhere around midnight in the plant where I worked because I had to add another breaker to feed an upgrade on a vapor deposition machine. The day shift guys simply tied the wire to one of the existing phases and went home. The breaker tripped every time the heating element turned on.

I left a note for the daytime MR. Fixit to get the plant electrician to order the proper cover. It stayed that way for several months!

It seems that the OHSA inspector didn't like it, but said nothing of all the laser burns in the walls and ceiling, not to mention all the interlocks that had been jumped on a laser power supply that made 25KV at half an amp. A cardboard cover he could see and understand, the other "high tech" stuff didn't even get looked at. It was about 1977 and there were too many other real problems to solve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BYSL_2_A.jpg (584.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DoesItFit_4_A.jpg (604.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2556_x.jpg (553.3 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg BackYardSpeakerLab_A.jpg (247.4 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg SpeakerLabClosed_A.jpg (290.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09274_x.jpg (613.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Test_Assy.jpg (221.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Miter_3.jpg (243.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 10th November 2017, 07:14 PM   #44
Soundhappy is offline Soundhappy  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngvejos View Post
Wish I bought this earlier. Weller WD 1000.
My Weller WD-1 is excellent quality station
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C6907460-0CC6-4252-BDAA-2C447DE3F88B.jpg (438.9 KB, 177 views)
Old 11th November 2017, 06:08 PM   #45
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

+1 for the Weller wd1000, and a pack of different tips. Also my DER EE DR-5000 LCR meter. Never thought I'd use it ad often as I do.
Old 11th November 2017, 06:25 PM   #46
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

You know, I've been following Tubelab - George for many years, always lots of good stuff to learn. He's contributed greatly to the hobby. And in all the photo's I've seen, he's got no shirt. Now, come on, we gotta help the guy. If we all chip-in a $ I reckon we could get George a nice shirt. Who knows, we might collect enough to get him a pair of shoes too
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th November 2017, 06:31 PM   #47
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

He likes to walk a lot, does he do that shirtless do you think?
Old 11th November 2017, 07:23 PM   #48
Elemental is offline Elemental
diyAudio Member

What about a Plunge Circular Saw with guide rail - anyone use them? I've had my eye on the Makita thinking it would be good for the first cut of sheet goods to make them manageable for the table saw. Maybe even a cordless for parking lot cuts to get a sheet home.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th November 2017, 07:41 PM   #49
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Track saws are awesome. I used one for the 5x5' 19mm BB sheet below, on top of hard foam. Carefully done the precision and edge quality are ready for glue up. Get a long enough track and one that is true! The cordless tracksaw idea to break down sheet goods for initial transport is brilliant - I had a heck of a time getting three 5x5' sheets home on the roof of an SUV. Although in retrospect the shop could have rough cut them for me...

BK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_3151.JPG (298.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 11th November 2017, 07:55 PM   #50
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Not really a tool and I didn't have to actually buy it: Front Panel Designer from Front Panel Express, the company that does custom CNC. I use it to layout my DIY aluminum front and especially complex REAR panels for cutouts. Very intuitive to use and perfect for the task. Layout, print, transfer, scribe, cut. No more whoopsies!

BK

What tool do you wish you had bought sooner?Hide this!Advertise here!