What tool do you wish you had bought sooner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use the Chef's Choice 120. I too wasted a lot of money and time over the years. This one doesn't get put away, has its own spot on the counter.
Chef'sChoice(R) EdgeSelect™ 120 Knife Sharpener - Bed Bath & Beyond

I have the UK model of that on my counter!

After xx years of kidding myself that I knew how to use a knife steel, (Dad, I hate you 'cos you did!) and a drawer full of useless gadgets, this one is the biz! ~£140 on Amazon.

And dangerous: I have to warn all visitors and guests that our knives really are sharp and can cut a tomato! But I can now do a proper diced onion!

I reckon we could get George a nice shirt. Who knows, we might collect enough to get him a pair of shoes too.......He likes to walk a lot, does he do that shirtless do you think?

I have a closet full of shirts, and some shoes too. I will even wear them if the occasion warrants it. Walking or running around in the park on a weekday afternoon with nice weather, when I an the only one there.....no shirt, sometimes no shoes either. Ditto working in the yard, with or without power tools.

Attachments

• George.jpg
    George.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 281
Food processor
Automatic espresso machine
Cordless drill
Magnifier lamp for soldering

I would avoid cutting aluminum completely through without a proper blade. This can be used with some plastics, however is still risky if the speed and feed are not correct and any excess heat allows the plastic to melt and reattach to the blade; BOOM!
Avenger AV-10900 Aluminum cutting saw Blade, 10-inch by 100 tooth, 5/8-inch arbor, C-4, TCG - Circular Saw Blades - Amazon.com

I must admit to doing that before using a wood blade and just didn’t cut all the way through, breaking off the rest, filing the remnants...

My Weller WD-1 is excellent quality station :cheers:

They are indeed fine devices. I just wish the damned thing had a pilot light - I've accidentally left mine turned on a time or three because you can't tell at a glance that it's on (the power supply sits up on a high bench shelf and without standing and purposefully looking, the display is hard to read and its being on or off is not readily obvious). One of these years I'll open it up and put some sort of indicator in it...

-Pat

I'm kicking myself for not trying the 'aluminum on the table saw' thing much sooner than I did. Had seen it mentioned occasionally, but never had the nerve to try it. I'd instead ouija my way through plate with a jig or band saw, then spend forever filing the jagged tooth marks out. I finally tried it with a standard carbide blade when I was cutting scads aluminum track for radiant heating, and discoverd that it worked a treat, was fast and made a nice clean cut. Immediately got a proper non ferrous blade for the saw and was blown away at how it could cut quarter inch thick 6061 plate like butter. Great thing to have on hand.

-Pat

What about a Plunge Circular Saw with guide rail - anyone use them? I've had my eye on the Makita thinking it would be good for the first cut of sheet goods to make them manageable for the table saw. Maybe even a cordless for parking lot cuts to get a sheet home.

I got the smaller Festool one a few years ago and love it. It's definitely much easier than trying to wrestle full sized sheets of plywood onto a table saw. Have used it by itself to cut bead board for wainscoting at a friend's house, trim doors to length, all sorts of things. Get one, you won't regret it.

-Pat

I'd instead ouija my way through plate with a jig or band saw, then spend forever filing the jagged tooth marks out. I finally tried it with a standard carbide blade when I was cutting scads aluminum track for radiant heating, and discoverd that it worked a treat, was fast and made a nice clean cut.
Have you ever used a chop saw for aluminum?

Have you ever used a chop saw for aluminum?

At that time I didn't have one. We have since gotten one at work, and I made certain to buy a non ferrous blade for it when we initially ordered it. It works wonderfully on 8020 stock.

For the most painful band sawing instance in my past, the chop saw wouldn't have worked but the table saw would have been just the ticket. I needed a 5" x 30" piece of 1/4" thick 6061 for a project at work. McMaster had 4" wide (obviously not gonna work), or 6" wide. I made a 30" long cut on a band saw, and was waiting for my thumbs to separate from my hands from what seemed like an hour of pushing as it slowly plodded along... Later experience taught me that the table saw would have zipped through it in about 30 seconds or less, and left a beautifully clean edge.
:headbash:

-Pat

stereo microscope

I've got a couple of Nikon SMZ645's at work and an SMZ745. I've worked with Olympus, Nikon, Leica and Mitutoyo microscopes throughout my career (surface mount construction, wire bonding etc). I have been so incredibly spoilt at work.

I desperately want a microscope at home, but recoil at the used price of anything I'd regard as decent (ie anything that I've used professionally).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.