Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Why most multimeters range is 2v 20v 200v instead of 9v 99v and 999v
Why most multimeters range is 2v 20v 200v instead of 9v 99v and 999v
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2017, 01:00 PM   #41
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
And my other two multimeters also agree with each other and my new 9.999 count meter.
at 12.00v they all read within the last digit within 0.001 of accuracy and for 12v within 0.01 of accuracy with each other.
That's what I do I calibrate all my meters to the same 5.000 V reference.

An out-of-the-box voltage check is good to do, but sadly it doesn't eliminate the many measurement error terms that can creep back in..If it didn't I'm sure they would be glad to claim its a 0.05% meter instead of only a 0.5%. Don't get me wrong extra resolution is still very useful, but the last significant digit (or a low count reading) will always be a throwaway.
Old 26th November 2017, 11:14 AM   #42
realflow100 is offline realflow100  United States
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't it be best to leave the multimeter on for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes after turning it on before calibrating it?
so you get accurate readings after its been on for a while too
because when I first turn it on the last digit wavers a little before before it starts to settle around 10 to 30 seconds later
Old 26th November 2017, 11:22 AM   #43
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Yes, always a good idea to allow test equipment time to warm up and settle
Old 26th November 2017, 02:41 PM   #44
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
Wouldn't it be best to leave the multimeter on for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes after turning it on before calibrating it?
so you get accurate readings after its been on for a while too
because when I first turn it on the last digit wavers a little before before it starts to settle around 10 to 30 seconds later

Are you sure you can calibrate it? AFAIK all the new DMMs are doing away with touch labor (pots) and storing calibration data in on-board memory.
Noise, overshoot, and long settling time can be and usually are the side effects of that class of instrument. I reckon those tradeoffs vs new added features and its low cost are easy to live with.
yes continue to put the new DMM through all its paces. Often the end user is the only QC. lol
Extra resolution is awesome, esp. if you match resistors, select-in-test and use the data in ratios.

Last edited by infinia; 26th November 2017 at 03:07 PM.

Why most multimeters range is 2v 20v 200v instead of 9v 99v and 999vHide this!Advertise here!