Why most multimeters range is 2v 20v 200v instead of 9v 99v and 999v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And my other two multimeters also agree with each other and my new 9.999 count meter.
at 12.00v they all read within the last digit within 0.001 of accuracy and for 12v within 0.01 of accuracy with each other.
That's what I do I calibrate all my meters to the same 5.000 V reference.

An out-of-the-box voltage check is good to do, but sadly it doesn't eliminate the many measurement error terms that can creep back in..If it didn't I'm sure they would be glad to claim its a 0.05% meter instead of only a 0.5%. Don't get me wrong extra resolution is still very useful, but the last significant digit (or a low count reading) will always be a throwaway.

Wouldn't it be best to leave the multimeter on for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes after turning it on before calibrating it?
so you get accurate readings after its been on for a while too
because when I first turn it on the last digit wavers a little before before it starts to settle around 10 to 30 seconds later

Wouldn't it be best to leave the multimeter on for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes after turning it on before calibrating it?
so you get accurate readings after its been on for a while too
because when I first turn it on the last digit wavers a little before before it starts to settle around 10 to 30 seconds later

Are you sure you can calibrate it? AFAIK all the new DMMs are doing away with touch labor (pots) and storing calibration data in on-board memory.
Noise, overshoot, and long settling time can be and usually are the side effects of that class of instrument. I reckon those tradeoffs vs new added features and its low cost are easy to live with.
yes continue to put the new DMM through all its paces. Often the end user is the only QC. lol
Extra resolution is awesome, esp. if you match resistors, select-in-test and use the data in ratios.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.