Analog Discovery 2 THD Measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've been using an Analog Discovery 2 to test an amplifier; when I test THD the maximum reading I can get is -70dB. I realised that the THD spec for the waveform generator in the unit was -70dB so I bought one of victor's 1kHz signal generators. I still get a -70dB THD (testing just the signal generator) while others report -120dB, does anyone know if this is a limitation of the analog discovery?
Thanks,
Simon.

Last edited:
You can try averaging, I use it with good result.
In the spectrum window, click channel option on the right hand side.
for channel1 sample mode, change decimate to averaging.
do the same for channel 2.
You can also try to change the trace1 and trace 2 type from sample to something else, but for me averaging did the trick.

Good question!.. I probably don't need to I guess. I started out trying to test the THD of a chip amp I built recently and it always produces the same result as the signal source - I was trying to find a signal source that out performed the amp so that I could come up with a THD figure. I guess I could just stop and say it's good enough, it certainly sounds fine. Also I'm currently working on an RIAA stage and wanted to make sure I was getting as little distortion from that as possible. Plus I'm new to all this and just feeling my way around.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.