Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Amplifier Dummy Load for THD measurements / non-inductive?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2017, 01:26 PM   #31
Zymorg is offline Zymorg  Germany
diyAudio Member

Just ordered a tpa6120 headphone amp module from china as well. It's so unbelivable cheap and has even the power supply on board (except for traffo).
Old 15th October 2017, 01:31 PM   #32
Zymorg is offline Zymorg  Germany
diyAudio Member

@Burnedfingers: Are they really non-inductive? What size of amps are you testing?
Old 15th October 2017, 02:06 PM   #33
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Among many other applications, I use dummy loads for amplifier slew rate testing. So I prefer them to remain noninductive all the way up into the dozens of megahertz when possible.
Old 15th October 2017, 03:21 PM   #34
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Once you add cables all bets are off. If you have the right instrumentation you can characterize to whatever you need but its not cheap. Above a few KHz you really are best served with a vector network analyzer. Connecting with a cable then adds to the problem since the cable will be 50 Ohms or higher.
I'm away from my shop for another 2 weeks but I can plot the resistors to 3 GHz when I return if its of interest.
Slew rate into a resistive load is interesting. Do you sweep to 3% HD to find where the output departs from feedback control? How does capacitive loading affect the slew rate? Lots to explore.
Old 15th October 2017, 04:47 PM   #35
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Nah, I just remove the input LPF and apply a fast risetime square wave whose amplitude is chosen to swing the output almost to clipping. Slew Rate =approx= deltaV/deltaT .

In the picture below, 35V / 320nsec = 109 Volts/usec

_
Attached Images
File Type: png slew.png (30.3 KB, 42 views)

Amplifier Dummy Load for THD measurements / non-inductive?Hide this!Advertise here!