Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Need oscilloscope - what to buy?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 9th October 2017, 11:53 PM   #1
Joca is offline Joca  Portugal
diyAudio Member
Default Need oscilloscope - what to buy?

I need a scope mostly for audio projects but also for general electronics. Dont have a big budget for this. Its only a hobby for me.

Thank you for the suggestions
Old 10th October 2017, 01:22 AM   #2
hitsware is online now hitsware
diyAudio Member
MCP CQ5010C 10 MHz Bench Oscilloscope with Probe NEW | eBay
Old 10th October 2017, 01:47 AM   #3
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member
2 channels would be pretty minimal. Most audio is fairly low frequency, but circuits can oscillate at many megahertz.

The standard bench oscilloscope for many, many years (if there is such a thing) has mostly been 2-channel, 100 MHz bandwidth, and more often than not, Tektronix.

Pretty good scopes are available at reasonable prices these days from manufacturers such as Rigol. Worst thing about them might be that the probe hook clips don't last very long before going intermittent. Also, not quite as many trigger options as Tektronix, but still pretty usable most of the time. Many people seem quite happy with them.

For those on a very low budget, ebay is one place to look. It's possible to get a very minimal scope for maybe $30. Of course, that's about what they are worth.
Old 10th October 2017, 04:45 AM   #4
tomtt is offline tomtt
diyAudio Member
Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Whatever is at your local second hand shop.
internet photographer
Old 10th October 2017, 05:26 AM   #5
leadbelly is online now leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member
Find your local hamfest using google.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell
Old 10th October 2017, 05:41 AM   #6
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member
I'd keep an eye out for a used Tektronix 2215 (2-channel, 60 MHz, analog). If you do buy on eBay, get a calibrated one from a reputable seller who knows how to pack these items for shipment.
My first scope was a 2215. I still have it... It was superseded by a Tek 2465B (4-channel, 400 MHz) that I fished out of the surplus pile at work and repaired.

I'd stay away from the various USB scopes as their sensitivities tend to suck. If you do consider a USB scope, definitely get one with a sensitivity below 10 mV.

Also have a look at the many "which scope should I buy" threads here.

Modulus-86: 40W/8Ω @ 0.000061% THD. HP-1: 3W/20Ω, 450mW/300Ω @ 0.000032% THD. DG300B and Other Tube Circuits.
Neurochrome : : Audio - www.neurochrome.com - Engineering : : Done : : Right
Old 10th October 2017, 05:54 AM   #7
raul_77 is offline raul_77  Europe
diyAudio Member
Maybe a USB oscilloscope:

DDS140 Updated DDS120 PC-Based Digital Storage Oszilloskop 40MHz 200MS/S DE. | eBay

Hantek 6022BE PC USB Digital Storage FFT Oscilloscope 2CH 20MHz 48MSa/s 2 Probes
Old 10th October 2017, 06:09 PM   #8
Joca is offline Joca  Portugal
diyAudio Member
im in europe...so the options in USA are impossible to consider due to shipping costs.

The rigol 1102 it's above my budget. i Was thinking in a used one from other brands. Maybe the tektronix.

What other brands can i consider if 2 channel analog?
Old 10th October 2017, 07:00 PM   #9
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
You might want to check out the older Fluke/Philips combiscopes. Watch out however, they tend to be a bit overrated. In Europe, a second-hand analog Hameg can be had for peanuts, while being quite OK nonetheless.

If you need an analog scope, look for Tek, Hameg, Hp, Fluke, Philips, Lecroy. Prices of these are dropping fast, because of the availability of cheap digital scopes that mop the floor with them in daily use. A digital scope is a different matter: older mid to high end models may be worthwhile (and tend to fetch good money still), but lower end older digital scopes of the traditional brands are vastly outperformed by the cheap offerings from Rigol, Siglent, GW Instek to name a few.

If I were you, I'd look either for a (very) cheap analog scope (you can sometimes get one for free from universities or companies that clear out their basements), or save a few more euros and buy a recent entry-level digital scope like a Rigol 1000Z.

EDIT Stay away from the kind of rubbish mentioned in post #2. It's a toy, nothing more. That is, if it reaches you in working order, otherwise it's a poorly made doorstop. For that money you can get something far better second-hand, and if you have a simple brand-name oscilloscope, chances are good that you can fix it when it needs repair. Although the right CRT tends to be a bit harder to find nowadays.

Last edited by timpert; 10th October 2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10th October 2017, 07:01 PM   #10
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member
I bought mine from Testgearsolutions for Tektronix in the UK. It was well-packed and arrived in Ireland in perfect working order. That was about 10 years ago, though, and I don't know if they're still around or not....

Need oscilloscope - what to buy?Hide this!Advertise here!