Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

AverLAB Audio Analyser
AverLAB Audio Analyser
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 11:25 PM   #81
Oneminde is offline Oneminde
diyAudio Member

Its been quiet for a while - just started reading 30 min ago. I have been back and forth searching for a good analyzer. For a while, I was set on Digilent Analog Discovery 2 together with the Audio Analyzer Suite developed by TheStuffMade. But just like NwAvGuy, TheStuffMade vanished into thin air. This was an unbeatable combo at the price point and since there where people pointing out that the Digilent Waveforms had issues with accuracy, I could no longer choose the Discovery 2. So back to zero.

Next was PicoScope that feature FFT and Audio Analyzing capability with an increased price tag and in reality a compromise in many aspects, so I don't feel all that tempted. RTX Audio is a half hearted attempt as well since they rely on 3rd party software which in itself can be a serious problem.

So, wanting a really good and reliable Audio Analyzer with software integration left me with a very few options since I am not a wealthy fella.
Audio Precision, many a dream and the only option for a DIY who is aspiring to offer proper equipment in the future, was their APx515 model. But at $6000 plus VAT for import, that is a huge investment.

In comes Avermetrics and saves the day with AverLab. $3000 for AP similar precision, who can decline such a deal. Avermetrics even consist of former AP engineers, who are open for suggestions from the public domain. Willing to perform future software upgrades and so forth.

This is a game changer, just like ARTA and REW, Dayton Audio Omnimic v2 and XSim (crossover network). For DIY'ers and semi professionals, this is a killer combo together with AverLab.

I can't afford an AverLab this year since I am in the middle of building my workshop / lab and loudspeaker development, but be sure, next year, I will pick one up. And by that time, plenty of development and more mature software will have surfaced. Not that there is fundamentally anything wrong with it as it is.

Just make sure THD and IMD is part of it and Audio Precision will regret that they did not reconsider the pricing of their APx515.

Old 13th February 2018, 11:59 PM   #82
AverPaul is offline AverPaul  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the kind words, Oneminde. When I started Avermetrics I had an idea of how to do test and measurement better--differently than it had been done up until then. The usual model is either charge a lot, then keep charging for everything that you need, or to not really solve the technical problems and never create a complete solution. I used to run engineering for M-Audio and Digidesign, and with more than 10 factories building our stuff we tried every way to do testing--most of which were too expensive (even for us) and many were technical duds. That's where the ideas for Avermetrics came from.

We do have some very cool things coming in our software. Everything takes a little longer than you plan--the story of my life it seems--but we're close to a new release that sets the stage for features no other test and measurement system has. When you're ready to buy a system you'll be able to control and automate every aspect of the way you make measurements. Personally, I can't WAIT to get these new features, and that's just so I can use them myself.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:19 AM   #83
Oneminde is offline Oneminde
diyAudio Member

I hear you. One can use similarity's in the amplifier and loudspeaker realms. Many tend to stick to components because it A) used to be very good in the 70's. B) Religious relationship to a specific company and or product. C) Because that is how its done. Well, does are not good enough. Take ALPS, they produce good pots and attenuators, but if one look further, TKD might be a whole level better. In fact, mechanical volume attenuators aren't that great when it comes to signal to noise ratio - times change.

Just like you had and still have a vision - which will expand - so do I. I feel engineers and company's to a certain degree are afraid of doing things differently, even if they are better. Like using SMPS instead of Linear power supply in valve amplifiers. But that is how it is when people can't separate the power to run the gear vs. the audio signal powering your loudspeakers / headphones.

Thank's for reading my entry and nice talking with you.

AverLAB Audio AnalyserHide this!Advertise here!