PC USB LC meter project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just finished and tested my USB lc meter project.

Its basically just an oscillator and a PIC micro measures the oscillation frequency and passes that to the PC via the USB bus.
The switch either puts an inductor or capacitor in parallel with the component under test.
For capacitors over 1uf the PIC simply charges up the capacitor and measures how long it takes.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Nigel, this might be of interest to you:

AVR Transistortester – Mikrocontroller.net

It details a multi-component tester based around the ATMega platform. While I know it won't be a 1:1 conversion (going from AVR to PIC) it still might help you algorithmic-ly. It is an open-source project (that most of the Chinese multi-tester boards are based upon). It is still under active development with the english language discussion thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/

Nigel, this might be of interest to you:

AVR Transistortester – Mikrocontroller.net

I had been thinking about a semiconductor analyser.
There are already a few on market that are quite clever.
On one you can connect a transistor up any way you like and it works out for itself which pin is BCE.

I have one which even does CE breakdown voltage.
They were both over £60 so a cheap alternative would sell well.

I had been thinking about a semiconductor analyser.
There are already a few on market that are quite clever.
On one you can connect a transistor up any way you like and it works out for itself which pin is BCE.

I have one which even does CE breakdown voltage.
They were both over £60 so a cheap alternative would sell well.
The ones made based off the design I liked to only run about $20 on eBay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.