Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

How often do calibrated mics need to be calibrated?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2017, 01:30 PM   #11
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I just realized something... an alternative way of recalibration

I started with planning to measure two mics just to see how close they are. But then in ECC, one additional bit can only detect but not correct errors, while two additional bits can detect and correct errors.

So if I have 3 mics and I only use one regularly, I can use a majority-wins criteria to correct the response of the outlier, without even needing a source that is accurate or flat or etc.

Kind of similar to using a better mic to calibrate the worse mic. However you don't run into the problem of having to calibrate the better mic.
Old 13th August 2017, 01:54 AM   #12
Monte McGuire is offline Monte McGuire
diyAudio Member

Interesting, but what if they all drift the same way at the same time? That's likely if they're the same construction or if they're exposed to the same environment.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:44 AM   #13
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Well unfortunately that is also what ECC cannot protect against.

But then besides keeping some of them in storage, the three mics don't even have to be the same. I'm thinking of buying two iMM-6, and use them to calibrate a third normal mic - can be SM57, can be Blue Snowball. And we get a mic that is somewhat calibrated and does not suck entirely for normal recording tasks.

Though issue with SM57 is, the sensitivity is almost 10 times lower than the iMM-6 and I have never successfully recorded speakers at 1m without a lot of hiss.
Old 13th August 2017, 04:21 AM   #14
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

SM-57 as a measurement mic? That's an original idea.

I bought an AT2020 and calibrated it, turns out is was so close to the published curve it didn't matter. Being a cardioid, the 2020 is handy for measurement when I want to ignore sound coming from behind the mic.
Old 14th August 2017, 12:02 AM   #15
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
SM-57 as a measurement mic? That's an original idea.
It has to be calibrated on different distances and SPL levels, of course in anechoic chamber only! I can imagine the size of that 3-D calibration table. ;-)
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 14th August 2017, 04:04 AM   #16
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The problem with cardioid is that the response varies with distance since there is an interaction between the front and back of the capsule. True for all directional mikes to some extent.

This mike is approx. $1 CMA-6542PF CUI Inc. | Audio Products | DigiKey A 1/4" brass tube and RCA/minijack or cable in the other end and you have a good mike. It would need calibration but I expect the correction factors would be pretty small. the small size makes it less sensitive to orientation. I have measured this type to over 30K. Make a handful and check them against one another and against a calibrated mike.
Old 16th August 2017, 02:20 AM   #17
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Another problem of SM57 is, it is not as linear as an electret one, so needs to be calibrated on different SPLs as well.

I have couple of boxes of different electret capsules, about 100 of each (less, since I used some).
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.

How often do calibrated mics need to be calibrated?Hide this!Advertise here!