Best/solid mic for speaker measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw the UMIK mics from minidsp and imagine there must be a better solution for testing speakers. I do have a pro audio multi channel audio interface but would rather have a USB solution to make the test rig portable. What are some good options that can help me build a solid test rig for final tuning of cabs?

I have behringer ECM8000 and Dayton EMM-6.

The EMM-6 comes with a calibration file for your mic. I got mine for around A$100.

The dayton mic and behringer deliver measurements within a dB or so of one another until 15-20k, at which point the differences still remain minor. In my mind this says that "yes, I could get a better mic", but these are doing just fine for my mderately critical measurements.

the accuracy of the mics from dayton, behringer or minidsp seems low directly from the manufacturer, the accuracy should therefore be controlled against a known reference.

i think clio pocket system has the highest accuracy right out of the box

the accuracy of the mics from dayton, behringer or minidsp seems low directly from the manufacturer, the accuracy should therefore be controlled against a known reference.

i think clio pocket system has the highest accuracy right out of the box

Can you post a link to the Clio pocket system you are talking about? Would a omni-directional ribbon mic work the best for this task with a pro audio ADDA? I am figuring they would be the most detailed and sensitive mics in general and able to get solid results. A pretty good one can be had for around $1,000.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The best microphone for measurements are the ones designed and characterized for that service like GRAS, B&K & Microtech Gefell. Ribbon mikes are intrinsically bidirectional and need acoustic stuff to become omni. This always brings compromises. There are other issues with frequency response and the transformers needed. A less expensive option are the Earthworks measurement mikes Earthworks High Definition Microphones . Still not cheap but directly compatible with typical pro equipment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.