Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Cyril Bateman standalone THD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2017, 02:07 AM   #1
herb1diaz is offline herb1diaz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cyril Bateman standalone THD

I am trying to build Cyril Bateman's Distortion test set as described in his "Capacitor sounds II" series. Does anyone have PCB artwork from his CD to photoetch a set of boards from? Sadly His CD is no longer available.
Old 17th April 2017, 01:58 PM   #2
EssB is offline EssB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here you go, all 40+ Mb on my copy of the CD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f15slzdgm0...%20CD.zip?dl=0

(hope that link works, Dropbox has changed since I last used it)

You'll have to search through all the subdirs to find the artwork. Look for dir's named 'Times_1' and 'LC960'. They're all pdf's - he mentions png + tiff files but there aren't any.
Old 19th April 2017, 02:22 AM   #3
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't believe you just shared this! I e-mailed Jan Didden just a few weeks ago, asking if he had a copy of the CD. He said he only had the articles hosted on Linear Audio. I was getting on here to post a plea tonight for somebody to share the CD, and I figured I'd just search to make sure nobody had already...and you put this up yesterday?!?! Bizarre synchronicity. Thanks.

I've been trying to use the limited data in the Capacitor Sounds articles to create graphs that may eventually enable very rough predictions of capacitor distortion in a given circuit. My feeble first attempts are over here on one of XRK971's threads.

I'm very excited to see what additional measurements and other goodies may be on the CD. I think Jan may be interested in hosting some of this too.

Thanks again. And RIP Cyril.

Last edited by stellarelephant; 19th April 2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 19th April 2017, 02:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Herb1diaz,

You may also be interested in Samuel Groner's new capacitor testing circuit design that I was just told about by member Mlackey. I know Mlackey is using one. It's featured in Jan's Linear Audio Volume 12.

Summary:
"This article considers the measurement of harmonic distortion in capacitors using a bridge circuit. Each arm of the bridge consist of one resistor and one capacitor. The bridge is driven in quadrature, such that both the differential and common-mode output voltage are nominally zero. The article introduces a procedure to construct a capacitor with very low distortion contribution, which is used in the reference arm of the bridge. The resolution of the bridge is estimated to exceed −150 dB. Measurement results for various capacitor types are presented. These show that parts with ceramic C0G dielectric have more consistent, and generally speaking also lower, distortion than Polyester, Polypropylene or Polystyrene film capacitors. "
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th April 2017, 06:02 AM   #5
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I have 2 Radiometer CLT-1's and the manual for it. The residual for H3 is -170 dB on these. They only work at 10 KHz and look at 30 KHz. There are details about them that have not been fully explored. One key is the the excitation is low Z at 10 KHz but much higher at H2 up so the source won't attenuate the harmonics.

I want to try the bridge trick and see if I get similar results to the CLT-1.
Old 20th April 2017, 06:30 AM   #6
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm guessing the measureable improvement of non-polar electrolytic format versus polar (assuming they are made using the same capacitor but just back-to-back and twice the capacitance) would be that increased capacitance is dominating the outcome.

What would be interesting is a comparison of new versus old polar electrolytic stock (ie. aging or general technology change differences) - as a means to identify if swapping out 20-30-40 year old caps actually has a tangible benefit.
Old 20th April 2017, 07:14 PM   #7
waltzingbear is offline waltzingbear  United States
diyAudio Member

was consulting with Marty about this, just waiting for the flux capacitor to arrive from Mouser. More work to be done, but then I will have published this about 5 years ago.

Cheers
Alan
Old 20th April 2017, 10:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

My wife teases me about flux capacitors every time I speak of audio stuff...

Cyril Bateman standalone THDHide this!Advertise here!