Thermal Imaging Camera

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

Is there any one that has experience/tested/used the linked product.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Por...lgo_pvid=1714780f-1cc3-48e3-8cdf-7129aef9f460

At the given price point (220 US) it is an interesting device, it may not be on par with the more expensive Flir models, but it is at my hobby-price-point.

The main usage will be measuring the temperature of individual power transistors in (mainly) power amplifiers.

You are much better off going with the FlirOne G2. You can get much higher thermal resolution, a way higher quality sensor, MSX (a method of merging optical and thermal images), etc. All for about the same price.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reaction.

What I was looking for is a standalone solution independent of other devices, something like the Flir E4.
FLIR E4 | FLIR E4 Thermal Imaging Camera 80 x 60pixel, Temperature Measurement Range: -20 → +250 C | FLIR

The problem is, at the moment such a device is not in the budget, to me it looks like this 'Chinese' solution would be a good/viable short term solution.

So the question is, would the Chinese devise be adequate for the temperature measurements of single power transistors? even given it's low(ish) resolution.

Now [Max] has unleashed his DIY Thermocam on the world of Open Hardware, and anyone can build their own for about €400 (about $425). The components required for this build include a FLIR Lepton sensor easily sourced from the Digikey or GroupGets, an Arducam Mini, a Teensy 3.6, and a mishmash of components that are probably kicking around your parts drawers.

Thanks, that is actually a cool project. At the moment (given the limited amount of time available) I doo need a turn-key solution, so I'm not going for this one. [And the budget is still a stretch]

Flir One is a better option in same price range. You may see it in action here vicol audio : Shigaclone mkII CD transport
more picture here https://twitter.com/VicolAudio/status/826008095805603847

Regards,
Tibi

Shiga_MKII_thermal%20analysis.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reaction.

What I was looking for is a standalone solution independent of other devices, something like the Flir E4.
FLIR E4 | FLIR E4 Thermal Imaging Camera 80 x 60pixel, Temperature Measurement Range: -20 → +250 C | FLIR

The problem is, at the moment such a device is not in the budget, to me it looks like this 'Chinese' solution would be a good/viable short term solution.

So the question is, would the Chinese devise be adequate for the temperature measurements of single power transistors? even given it's low(ish) resolution.

Flir One is a better option in same price range. You may see it in action here vicol audio : Shigaclone mkII CD transport
more picture here https://twitter.com/VicolAudio/status/826008095805603847

Regards,
Tibi

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
FDW,

Tibi's posted image here gives us a chance to see a best solution for the kind of situation. We can then discuss what the Chinese one will lack and you can see if it will fit your needs. This is the output from a topnotch sensor with optical image merging. For the life of me, AliExpress is not loading for me. I can see the initial image but no description, so I will talk a bit generic about the Chinese thermal imagers that look like this.

The biggest thing you will note are all the edges of parts on the image. This is the MSX function that Flir made. If your Chinese camera does not have a knock-off version of that function, all you will see is the colors underneath those edges. You basically end up with thermal blobs. This can make it very very hard to identify what parts are what on a complex board. This sensor has higher resolution than the Chinese sensor, I believe only by a bit, though you can software unlock even higher resolution in the FlirOne. That being said, the quality of the Chinese sensor will be much worse. Either expect a very very noisy image or an image where the thermal sensor image has been heavily smoothed out losing fine detail. I've seen both out of Chinese thermal imagers. I have even seen a few images that knock-off the MSX style image merging. Those would be the most useful, as at least you can see what is what. As for determine surface temp of transistors, it really depends on the accuracy needed. +/- 10 degrees (with the occasional glitch) is entirely possible, with the higher you go in temp the larger the inaccuracy gets. Any more accurate than that, you need to step up to a higher quality device.

@Tibi, you need to adjust your MSX offset. You can see the edges don't match up well with the thermal image underneath. Look at the holes in the board, then look at the corresponding holes in the thermal image don't line up. I forget how this is done but I know it's possible.

Last edited:

@Tibi, you need to adjust your MSX offset. You can see the edges don't match up well with the thermal image underneath. Look at the holes in the board, then look at the corresponding holes in the thermal image don't line up. I forget how this is done but I know it's possible.

Many thanks for advice !
I'm still learning how to use this tool. :)

Regards,
Tibi

All,

Thanks for the input, I decided to get the Chinese camera for these reasons
1 Its seems to fit the job description
2 Its stand alone
3 Its turn-key
4 Its fitting my budget

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I should have bought a better device, and one day I will, but at the 220$ price level (if it truly fits the job description) it is worth a try. I will come back with my experience as soon as it has seen some action.

So you should have it in 30-45 days!

So the message is, if you want it fast it isn't cheap, and if you want it cheap it isn't fast.

But,... this is what the order shows:

China Post Registered Air Mail
Free Shipping
Estimated Delivery Time:20-38 Days

And also it lets me know

Full refund if product is not received in 60 days.

So, when it is delivered past that 30 days mark, it will be free :)

How slow can you go :)
This is on my AliExpress account
===

2017-04-06
02:46:12
Shipped by air

2017-04-05
09:14:17
Export customs clearance complete

2017-04-04
16:20:09
arrive export exchange

2017-04-01
16:21:29
arrive export exchange
===
Almost 2 weeks in the air :)

Par for the course from aliexpress ... I think they use a combination of freight consolidation and conventional mail for the last mile.

I've had purchases come in a week and others take a month+ (skipping through two other countries along the way!)

As you said free and fast don't go together !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.