• 231208 Audio Ranger + Viktor.jpg
    231208 Audio Ranger + Viktor.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: 2 users
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Let me give you some insight.
To develop the final unit has taken me probably two years and up to 4 prototypes, say at an investment of maybe € 3000 - € 3500. When you bring out something like the autoranger, there's people that understand the functionality and the engineering behind it. They purchase the kit and build it successfully, with a rare case where someone needs some help, and if you are lucky you can recoup the investment. But it's also a lot of fun to work on something like that and the interaction with people that are interested.
Gradually, people read about it and the enthousiastic reports which tends to generate 'I want it too' reactions, without really having an insight in what it does, where/how it should be used, and the expertise and insight required to bring it to a successful end. That means that I have to set aside one or two hours a day just to support that phase. I don't have that time.
So there will not be a second batch.

Jan

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Jan,
There are those who understand, they get it. Some even know it.

Folks,
2 hours a day is an awful lot of time, that's focused work and he isn't getting paid for it. So hat's off to Jan for conceiving the project to start with, then actually producing a working product where there was none.

-Chris

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I don't have that time.
So there will not be a second batch.
Until you've done it, it's hard to appreciate the time that support can soak up. Never tried this with electronics, but I've written, documented, supported programming APIs and there's a ton of work involved, before, during and after.

The problem is that support is a draw, you feel obliged because it's your baby, your reputation. But every hour you spend on it is an hour you can't spend on something else more rewarding.

OTOH I'm relatively new to the whole DIYA thing and by the time I realised why I might need Jan's autoranger they weren't available. Frustrating, but that's life I'm afraid.