Autoranger for soundcards

Hello to the thread!
One question, as I intend to use the Auto Ranger with a Quantasylum QA40x, I could use a BNC as the single ended output of the AR instead of the Neutrik stereo jack? It is not clear. The hole size on the box is not a problem, the way it is connected instead is, I would use a panel mount and wire connections to the PCB - and in that case, an indication of what goes soldered where, would be great. And thank you Jan for all you help!!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Between (1) and (2), (2) being the BNC gnd. But isolate the BNC from the panel to avoid gnd loops!

Jan

Attachments

• se.PNG
    se.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 50
Autoranger MkII is a great tool, could be even better.

Thanks for your hard work, Jan. Yes, you are absolutely correct, we can use better op amps with significantly better distortions results. I didn't try OPA1656 yet being quite satisfied with OPA1611 - actually per datasheet it beats OPA1656 having 0.000015% (-136.5 dB) THD at 1 kHz comparing to 0.000029% (-131dB) for OPA1656. It also has significantly lower voltage noise level at 1.1 nV/sqr Hz at 1 kHz comparing to about 2.9 nV/sqr Hz for OPA1656 (look at the graph in the datasheet for 1 kHz result). Please also note that being unity gain stable, it could eliminate some unpredictable results and be less sensitive to the PBC layout tracing.
But those results are way better anyway comparing to old NE5532 or NE5534.

I use 10 uF MLCC capacitors right on the PS pins of op amps, with 0.033 uF C0G ceramic capacitors in parallel to lower possible noises even deeper.

As a tool, Autoranger MkII can be used with Victor's generator (-140dB at 1 kHz). I would like to thank you guys again for being extremely valuable diyforum members!

Please keep you great work going!
Hello Gordon, I’m curious about the twin t you have there with Vic’s oscillator. Can you give me some construction details on it. I would highly appreciate it.
franco

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Gordon, I’m curious about the twin t you have there with Vic’s oscillator. Can you give me some construction details on it. I would highly appreciate it.
franco
There a section on single ended and balanced twin T's around the Viktor thread.
Not my design but I designed a PCB for it based on Hammond case with all parts & connectors directly on the board.
It does not harm the performance.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

It was set at 1.5v output, I've since changed it to 0.5 for testing my Motu and Victors oscillator. I'll give it a proper test in the next few d

There a section on single ended and balanced twin T's around the Viktor thread.
Not my design but I designed a PCB for it based on Hammond case with all parts & connectors directly on the board.
It does not harm the performance.

Jan
Example: Viktor's oscillator through balanced twin tee. Twin T has about 70dB attenuation at 1kHz. Clean output.

Jan

Attachments

• bal tt.PNG
    bal tt.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200425_104316.jpg
    20200425_104316.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 109