Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Autoranger for soundcards
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2016, 05:34 PM   #11
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroether View Post
Thank you MarkS for pointing me to the pictures. I know the kit price is €150, I am asking for the costs of the electronic components which will add to the kit costs.

Michael
Probably another $ 120 to $ 150. Depends a bit for instance on the display type you want to use. There are three single (or a dual and a single; there's sockets for both) opamps; I am using NE5534's but you can live it up there.

There are 9 1-form-A reed relays; I have been using both Pickering at $ 5 a pop as well as Coto 9007 series at $ 1 each. Doesn't seem to make a difference. The Pickerings will probably last longer (like 100 million switches versus a mere 5 million or so ;-).

My equipment (dScope series III) cannot measure better than about -118 dB distortion on a good day; and there's basically no difference between the loop back and with the autoranger inserted.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 30th August 2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 30th August 2016, 05:43 PM   #12
Bob Cordell is offline Bob Cordell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Yes that is correct. Just today talked to the outfit that did the enclosure prototype about getting a bunch made. You know, like drop the display window 0.5mm, raise the switch hole 1mm and decrease diameter 0.2mm, that sort of thing

Now I have to decide if I want to commit a couple of grand to get it going.

If any of you have plans (or make any after reading this ) of visiting RMAF this fall, I'll have a fully operational prototype to check out.

Jan
Hi Jan,

I'll look forward to seeing the prototype at RMAF.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 30th August 2016, 06:03 PM   #13
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Hi anatech,

XR2206 looks like the go, thanks! It's times like this that I regret not buying the -S model when I bought my Rigol scope.

Jan,

In your note above you mention a source that can provide 10kHz, 100kHz at ~ 10V ideally for calibration. The cheapo XR2206 kits seem to be set for 2V sine wave output. The datasheet has mention of changing a resistor and increase supply voltage to 25V to get more voltage out so no worries there. I don't want this thing to cost any more ($$ or time) than it needs to, should I care about the 2.5% distortion for this purpose? Or should I look for something a bit more sophisticated?

Regards,
Chris

I think I have one of those.

Send me a PM with a mailing address and it's yours.
Old 1st September 2016, 10:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes that is correct. Just today talked to the outfit that did the enclosure prototype about getting a bunch made. You know, like drop the display window 0.5mm, raise the switch hole 1mm and decrease diameter 0.2mm, that sort of thing

Now I have to decide if I want to commit a couple of grand to get it going.

If any of you have plans (or make any after reading this ) of visiting RMAF this fall, I'll have a fully operational prototype to check out.

Jan
Just signed an order for 50 enclosures. The plot thickens!

Jan
Old 1st September 2016, 04:52 PM   #15
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

There are services in Asia that will build the complete PCB for not much more than the cost of the parts. At 50 pcs. its a good number to pursue. There are shops near me that could handle the PCB assembly as well but I'm a very long way from you.

Typically getting a PCB with the passives SMT mounted and the more modest parts (opamps) costs a small increase over the the basic PCB. Then let us mount expensive chips and connectors. it keeps the up front costs lower but addresses the most tedious part of assembly.
Old 1st September 2016, 06:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes that's a possibility I am pursuing. But most of the SMT Rs are 0.1% 25ppm or so and that's not something they have in the parts bin, so they need to order specially for this project. Which is not something they like!

Jan
Old 5th September 2016, 04:22 AM   #17
luvdunhill is offline luvdunhill  United States
diyAudio Member

Default QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

Quote:
Yes that's a possibility I am pursuing. But most of the SMT Rs are 0.1% 25ppm or so and that's not something they have in the parts bin, so they need to order specially for this project. Which is not something they like!

Jan

Jan, I can provide a source in China that will allow you to deliver your own parts. You can see the LSK389 in these pictures - in fact, I supplied the entire BOM. They even included little QC stickers and stuck them in individual static bags The quality was okay - I did the prototype boards using stencils and my boards seemed to come out a bit better.

In the end, I was lazy and needed a bunch of these boards

I would be glad to assist anyway I can - feel free to hit me up via PM

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by luvdunhill; 5th September 2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 15th September 2016, 10:32 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdunhill View Post
Jan, I can provide a source in China that will allow you to deliver your own parts.
Good tip, thanks!

I got a few hours in front of an AP 2722 yesterday with the proto autoranger (thanks Guido Tent!) but it was somewhat disappointing - no difference between loop back and with the AR in the loop, except a slightly higher baseline noise.

Red is loopback.

Jan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ar spectrum-1.pdf (11.5 KB, 197 views)
Old 15th September 2016, 01:26 PM   #19
B&W_arthur is offline B&W_arthur  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good tip, thanks!

I got a few hours in front of an AP 2722 yesterday with the proto autoranger (thanks Guido Tent!) but it was somewhat disappointing - no difference between loop back and with the AR in the loop, except a slightly higher baseline noise.

Red is loopback.

Jan
Looks really nice~
Old 17th October 2016, 10:31 PM   #20
Audio1Man is offline Audio1Man  United States
Duke Aguiar Design Services
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan
Nice work. You can also attach the AP File as some one with AP2700 software can open and expand as needed (Demo mode).
Duke
Hi Demian The level is dBv

Last edited by Audio1Man; 17th October 2016 at 10:35 PM.

Autoranger for soundcardsHide this!Advertise here!