Autoranger for soundcards

I am not sure what the ADC it uses, did not really want to try to open it up, I am wondering whether it's integrated into the system chip some way. But normally I would like the flexibility to interface it however I like to specifically make the decision myself during different measurements. You never know what you are going to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Woo hoo! I won this eBay auction and purchased a used Mantis Elite microscope for $1236; they sell for $4100 new. Dave Jones of Eevblog has one and he likes it very much. Dave says it's the perfect thing for SMD soldering and rework.

Here is a photo; you can see that I bolted it to my super inexpensive white lab bench from Ikea, with two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood underneath, for greater rigidity. The blue stuff is an antistatic mat.

_

Attachments

• the_mantis.JPG
    the_mantis.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 497
Hi Jan, any updates?

Comparing V3 with V4 U1 and U4 are missing. Could you please give a little bit more details on how the amplification stage is working? Also, it would be interesting to learn a little bit more about the protection method used since V4 seems to use 4 diodes instead of two in V3.

Kind regards,

Michael

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Almost there.

This week I finalised a firmware update which now allows you to switch between 1V and 0.4V nominal output level without opening the box. Instead of using a jumper it can now be selected from the front panel at switch-on.

That also required making the level calibration separate for the two nominal level settings, saving the level cal settings between sessions. Also, if you do only one calibration (for either the 1V or the 0.4V setting) the other is estimated (until you do a real cal for that).

The introduction of the 0.4V nominal output setting required increasing the max attenuation, it is now -48dB to maintain the max 100VRMS input level (from the original -40dB). Manual settings on the front panel are now available for 0dB, -16dB, -32dB and -48dB.

I think there's about one more day work left to clean up the level display processing. Then it is back to the manufacturer to update their quote due to PCB changes and a few extra components.

Thanks for asking!

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

Any more news? (Monthly update?)

Chris

Yes. I have finished the design and am putting together the complete package. I will offer the unit as a half-kit, namely:

- the main PCB with all precision SMD parts for the attenuation chains pre-mounted;

- the bare control & display PCB (has only standard TH parts);

- the programmed microcontroller;

- a complete painted & lettered custom enclosure;

- a SilentSwitcher power supply module for powering from a USB-charger or mains-free from a Powerbank.

Depending on the number of people who want one, the price of this package would be around € 190 or slightly less.

To complete the unit, some through-hole parts and the LCD display need to be soldered to the two boards, the complete unit needs to be assembled and some (limited) wire-up. The BoM and assembly guide will be online.

Physically it will look as shown in the Youtube video. There are some additional functions not mentioned in the video. There are now two front-panel selectable nominal output levels (1V and 0.4V). The attenuation range is increased to -48dB max. to allow max 100VRMS input from your power amp with the lowest nominal (0.4V) output level.
Also, in manual operation you can select 0dB, -16dB, -32dB and -48dB attenuation from the front panel, in addition to the HOLD button freezing the attenuation at the present setting for amplitude sweeping.

All assembly guides, calibration procedures and parts lists will be available for download for free of course. I am now working on the Construction Guide.

I might also offer complete assembly but not sure yet what that would cost extra - manual labor hours are not cheap these days; I'm looking for someone who will do that at nominal cost for fun rather than as a down-payment to his Lexus ;-)

So, let me know if you are interested anyone; I am putting together a mailing list for the time when it is all completed.

Jan