DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

My recollection is that the RTX has rather healthy overload margins built in without damage occurring.

I am looking forward completing my current lab upgrade plans with the receipt of this unit.

Thought them talking about lower distortion using these devices vs typical shottkys to rails was interesting.. although tbh I seem to recall removal of protection clamps not really making a difference to thd, noise etc.. depends how far down in the dirt we're looking, i suppose.

Ditto, looking forward to it. It's the last piece of my lab too :).

along the lines of Moore’s Law

... snip

Ditto, looking forward to it. It's the last piece of my lab too :).
Putting your bench upgrade plans on hold and stashing $1000 in an envelope while you wait for the RTX to ship sounds like a good strategy for a time.

There will always be something newer and better. Something along the lines of Moore’s Law; in a couple of years there will be something twice as good to take its place.

Big picture, he who dies with the most toys wins.

DT

Hehe true. But.. toys in this price range are few and far between for me. I finally snagged a boom microscope, so this will be the centerpiece, likely not getting replaced. :)

If I had the money I'd likely just get a full feature dscope since I'm used to the interface and software.

Jens,

Kept meaning to ask but i kept forgetting. Couple things I find myself using on the Dscope that wont be available here are: various input and output impedance's and the option to output a common mode balanced signal. Given, these could be somewhat rigged up externally.. but, wondering on your thoughts on these kinds of features for future models/upgrades?

Thanks

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Coming late to the game here as I just saw this thread. Looks really interesting. Can someone point out how much better performance this is going to give me than a $200 Focusrite 2i4 2nd gen? I currently use it and get -130dB noise floor and HD peaks are very small, maybe about 10dB peaks above that. Seems very adequate for most amps I have measured. It has SE and Bal in/outs and can even drive up to 32ohm loads.

Specifications | Focusrite

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi xrk971,
Nothing has shipped yet, but soon they will. These are in a full retail type box with accessories, so there is a lot to get together. I imagine if it was a purely DIY effort, they might be shipping, but not something that is a full product in every sense of the word.

-Chris

So I am not sure I understand, you changed out the ADC/DAC that was installed in the stock pre-built unit? I thought these have not actually even shipped yet? I guess coming into this thread new here so q bit behind on actual status but from previous posts it looks like nothing has actually been delivered yet.

No, I used a pc with installed the EMU 1212M and I am now waiting the RTX ...

I have a new never installed EMU 1212M sitting here on the shelf. Will this 1212M run in a Windows 10 machine?

Of course while we are waiting for the RTX6001.

DT
I tried to set up my e-mu1212m using the measurement set up files downloaded from this Forum. (I never got as far as attaching any measurement cables).
It refused to work as an audio device after that.
I uninstalled the e-mu and reinstalled still it refused.
I uninstalled and physically removed the device and restarted to find the that on board audio still worked.
I installed the e-mu again and still it refused to pass audio.

I bought a second e-mu in case the first had somehow after months of good audio reproduction been damaged.

The second emu was fitted and installed. It too refused to pass audio.
I asked for help here and no one came forward with any suggestions !
I now have two emu1212m on the shelf that can't do their primary job and yet appear to be undamaged.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
You have to remove the card, then remove the drivers for it. Make sure it doesn't show up in the audio devices list. In really bad cases I have had to go into the directory and manually remove mention of that card. Basically, you are making Windows stupid again like it has never seen that card. That should work.

I didn't see your request for help.

-Chris

I did physically remove the sound card and checked to see that the uninstall had removed it from the software list.
The system worked with audio via the on board sound card.
But when I reinstalled with a different sound card I still had no sound.
This proved to me that the problem was not a change in the sound card, but somewhere in the computer set up.
That's when I asked for help, but the Member who provided the measurement set up files did not come back.