How do I use my appliances on a Furman PL8CE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No. It is overpriced because there is nothing in it that will do any better than a standard multi-way socket with a snubber circuit built in costing in the UK from £59 upwards.
OLSON 20 IEC Outlet/Port/Socket Vertical 16A Power Distribution Unit PDU Strip | eBay
High Quality 6 Way Gang Kettle Socket IEC Distribution Power Board Module 2m | eBay
Power 16 Way IEC C13 Socket Horizontal PDU Distribution Unit with UK Plug | eBay
These are some results, all from trusted UK suppliers with CE stamped on them so they conform to EU standards. If you are really fussy, fit a 220nF type X capacitor across the input lead inside the distribution board. That will stop most mains borne interference. If you are really really fussy an uninteruptable power source with batteries, is not much more expensive. I hate to see people being ripped off!

No. It is overpriced because there is nothing in it that will do any better than a standard multi-way socket with a snubber circuit built in costing in the UK from £59 upwards.
OLSON 20 IEC Outlet/Port/Socket Vertical 16A Power Distribution Unit PDU Strip | eBay
High Quality 6 Way Gang Kettle Socket IEC Distribution Power Board Module 2m | eBay
Power 16 Way IEC C13 Socket Horizontal PDU Distribution Unit with UK Plug | eBay
These are some results, all from trusted UK suppliers with CE stamped on them so they conform to EU standards. If you are really fussy, fit a 220nF type X capacitor across the input lead inside the distribution board. That will stop most mains borne interference. If you are really really fussy an uninteruptable power source with batteries, is not much more expensive. I hate to see people being ripped off!

I'm really confused to be honest. Id be happy getting a local $60 surge protector again. My indicator light is still green, but that seems to mean little with surges after 3-4years. But from what I can tell ones like the furman pl8 are what you should get in the long run for expensive speakers. I really don't know.

Thanks again.

If your local mains suffers from spikes, buy a surge protector. If you have problems with RF interference, buy a mains filter. If you have problems with neither, just buy a distribution strip. If you like donating to charitable causes, buy the unit you first thought of.

But from my reading, a cheap surge protector probably needs or should be relaced every few years & the indicator light that says it's protected probably doesn't mean much after 3years of buying it. If an expensive 180dollar us furman surge holds up a lot better after 3-4years I think its worth it.

Just my knowledge.

I'm really confused to be honest. Id be happy getting a local $60 surge protector again.
To do what? A surge can be a high voltage, a low current, a low voltage, or a high current. Nothing protects from all. So some manufacturers sell a $3 power strip with some ten cent protector parts for $80. When the consumer does not always demand specification numbers, then scams are easiest.

The Furman citation did not have any specification numbers. Let's assume you are concerned with destructive surges such as lightning. A protector adjacent to electronics can only block or absorb that energy. So how do 2 centimeter parts inside the Furman block what 3 kilometers of sky could not? How does its maybe hundreds of joules absorb a surge that is hundreds of thousands of joules?

They know naïve consumers assume more money means better quality. Most have no idea what a surge protector does - and recommend them anyway. So selling a $30 items for $400+ is seen often.

Best protection at every appliance is already inside that appliance. Your concern is a rare transient (maybe once every seven years) that might overwhelm that robust internal protection. Only solution for that event is a properly earthed device at the service entrance. Since protection is always about earthing a surge before it can enter an building. Once inside, nothing will avert a destructive hunt. Furman will forget to mention that. Profit margins are so massive that I too (in their position) would forget to mention that.

To do what? A surge can be a high voltage, a low current, a low voltage, or a high current. Nothing protects from all. So some manufacturers sell a $3 power strip with some ten cent protector parts for $80. When the consumer does not always demand specification numbers, then scams are easiest.

The Furman citation did not have any specification numbers. Let's assume you are concerned with destructive surges such as lightning. A protector adjacent to electronics can only block or absorb that energy. So how do 2 centimeter parts inside the Furman block what 3 kilometers of sky could not? How does its maybe hundreds of joules absorb a surge that is hundreds of thousands of joules?

They know naïve consumers assume more money means better quality. Most have no idea what a surge protector does - and recommend them anyway. So selling a $30 items for $400+ is seen often.

Best protection at every appliance is already inside that appliance. Your concern is a rare transient (maybe once every seven years) that might overwhelm that robust internal protection. Only solution for that event is a properly earthed device at the service entrance. Since protection is always about earthing a surge before it can enter an building. Once inside, nothing will avert a destructive hunt. Furman will forget to mention that. Profit margins are so massive that I too (in their position) would forget to mention that.

Thanks.

I'm only concerned about general spikes that could damage expensive speakers. My question is shouldn't we be replacing the surge protectors every few years as they wear out from taking all the hits/spikes?

And if they do wear out are the expensive ones any better over some cheap solution?

:)

I'm only concerned about general spikes that could damage expensive speakers.
Defined was the solution that protects from destructive surges. It costs maybe $1 per protected appliance.

Take a $3 power strip. Add some ten cent protector parts. Sell it for $10 in Walmart. Or the same sells for maybe $85 from Monster. Either way, it is only protecting from a type of surge already made irrelevant by what exists in all electronics.

When a protector is grossly undersized, then it may blow a thermal fuse as fast as possible. To disconnect protector parts while leaving that surge still connected to electronics. Essential so that power strip protectors do not cause house fires. Failure on a surge too tiny to damage any electronics also gets naïve consumers to use wild speculation. To assume, "My protector sacrificed itself to save my ...." Total nonsense that increases profits.

Your concern is the other surge that might do damage. That occurs maybe once every seven years. If a surge is destroying speakers, it is also probably destroying bathroom and kitchen GFCI, clocks, dishwasher, TV, air conditioner, or refrigerator.

Please do not let urban myths convince you that a higher prices means better quality. Monster can sell something at 9 times more money than the equivalent item in Walmart. Because so many consumers ignore numeric specifications; instead view price. Quality is only defined by spec numbers. Such as what harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules - a surge that actually damages amps.

Those grossly undersized protectors also fail on a first surge. Because naïve consumers assume that is good. It is good only for a manufacturer who has increased profits by playing naïve consumers for patsies. Properly sizes (and less expensive) 'whole house' protectors, like all effective protectors, remain functional even after multiple direct lightning strikes. Only grossly undersized protectors must be replaced often.

Still a bit confused.

Is the protection that's already there the earth wiring in the actual power cords & house wiring? Or some component in the device/appliance itself?

From reading this thread it seems a surge protector for even a 10-15grand desktop setup is pointless. The surges that the surge protectors block are harmless to most gear? Probably annoying for audio studios like with hum & buzz?

Why do expensive setups & studios have expensive surge protectors & conditioners like from furman.

:)

Businesses often pay money for a form of 'insurance'. 'If we spent £X on Y, then when Y fails nobody can accuse us of penny-pinching so we don't get the blame'. They buy in consultancy in the same way.

You are clearly convinced that an expensive item simply must be better than a cheaper item, so to set your mind at rest you need to spend the money.

DONT speak on my behalf or tell me what to do you have NO right. I'm trying to get the straight dope. I will ignore any post you make from here on irrelevant child poster.

ALL commercial gear is designed to some form of safety standard (UL CE IEC-60950 etc.) these standards are for protection (mainly fire) but surge protection is also there to protect the equipment. There are numerous ways to achieve protection, MOVs, gas discharge, spark gap on a PCB etc. The other problem is speed of response to a surge, catching the initial rise until the slower devices can come into effect, in fact its a whole lot of fun doing front end surge protection. So depending on the equipment it may or may not have surge protection built in. To protect your gear find out if the company that supplies the mains will give you a report of surges on the mains, if not you can hire equipment to log the mains, then you'll know what you are dealing with.
Direct or near lightening strikes cannot be protected against very well the amount of energy involved is frightening, all you want to do is minimise the down stream damage.
Industrial/medical equipment catalogues would be a good source for surge protection stuff as they tend to take this a bit more serious than Audio....
Done plenty of this sort of gear, one particular area is for CCTV distributed networks where cameras are up on a pole, the whole point of the protector is to stop minor surges and in the case of major ones go open circuit ASAP to protect anything downstream.

Last edited:
Why do expensive setups & studios have expensive surge protectors & conditioners like from furman.
Take a 3 quid power strip. Add some pence protector parts. Sell it for 25 pounds. Or hype it with fancy paint and sell it for over 100 pounds. Those massive profits pay for extensive advertising. Most only see the subjective claims in advertising. Ignore specification numbers. And then recommend that near zero protector to friends.

Earth ground is completely different from a receptacle safety ground; is different from an analog ground inside equipment; is different from a digital ground inside the same equipment; is different from the chassis ground; is different from a floating ground inside the TV; is different from a ground beneath your feet to discharge static electricity .... Each ground is electrically different. For surge protection, only a single point earth ground harmlessly absorbs surge energy.

For example, best protection for an incoming TV coax cable is a hardwire from that cable to single point earth ground. That wire must be low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meters, no sharp wire bends, separated from other non-grounding wires, no splices, etc). Then a surge harmlessly dissipates outside the building.

Telephone cannot be earthed directly. So a protector (MOV, TVSS, GDT, avalanche diode, etc) makes a connection that a hardwire does better. That is what an effective protector does. Make that connection when a hardwire cannot make a better connection to earth. AC electric is THE most common incoming surge path. No protection exists on this unless the homeowner installs it.

Safety standards define human protection. Protectors are rated to reduce what is a serious problem with plug-in protectors - fire. In fact, APC recently announced some of their protector must be removed immediately due to the fire risk. That is a problem with protectors that must work by blocking or absorbing surge energy. A problem with plug-in protectors made obvious by no low impedance connection to earth.

Surge protection is about transistor protection. That is defined by the quality of and connection to single point earth ground. Ground (not a protector) actually does the protection.

Proven protectors connect low impedance to earth. These 'whole house' protector will be at least 50,000 amps. Because a direct lightning strike may be 20,000 amps. Effective protectors remain functional after each surge.

Effective protectors always have that short and dedicated connection to single point earth ground. Because effective protection means one can always say where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. Always. Protection means that energy does not enter the building.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.