mill table to hold circuit boards w/ press to hold iron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all, I have never been able to solder. I never have owned a decent soldering iron and now well aware that when I was trying I was not prepping the surfaces. I know this now because I hobby TIG weld. Usually delicate work on stainless, and I'm not absolutely horrible at it.
What I have in mind is a cross slide vise which I already own. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cross-slide-vise-32997.html
Then create a way to have "something like" a drill press holding the iron. I see Weller has rework stations which gave me the idea but can only imagine they cost many thousands of dollars. Right now I don't even have enough cash for a soldering iron.

I can hear everyone asking why would anyone go through so much trouble? Most people have probably had days where they hurt themselves by hunching over a bench and ending with a sore neck. It happens to me when I get involved in welding, or other projects where I am extremely concentrated on what I am doing with hand - eye coordination and forget about posture.

I've had an MRI done which confirmed there is cervical root nerve compression, bone spurs and slightly bulging disks. The nerve compression is the big deal. This was done after spending thousands of dollars on cutting edge work to treat debilitating elbow, forearm and wrist pain. There isn't much to be done about the issue, other than don't do stupid s#!+. The levels of pain were at one point on par with the same levels as if I had broken the arm, but a different type of pain. Being nerve pain, there is no way to treat it. Right now it's not so bad. I can do handstands, swing from ropes, cook, garden, almost anything - but always aware things can get really bad. Lifting a fork or drinking water can be excruciating for someone with compressed nerves.
This is why I am considering building such a soldering station. Use the brain to work, not the body - or as some say - work smarter, not harder.

The project I want to complete over the winter is building a couple of class A monoblocks.

Since I am new to soldering I am asking for opinions on what to use to hold the iron. If raising the boards is an option or if lowering the iron to them is better. Certainly this has crossed someone's mind at one pint or another.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its an interesting thought but I think setup for a joint will be as demanding of hand-eye coordination ans the work itself would be. For through hole work normally you would use a wave solder or drag solder system, both of which are beyond hobbyist aspirations and still require manual loading of the PCB's.

My suggestion would be to find a local high school or college student and have him/her do the detailed assembly. You will still need a good soldering iron and a few other essential supplies and tools.

Jeffs,

I fully understand the pain, I also have compressed nerves in my cervical vertebra due to arthritic degeneration. Pain is frequently so bad that I have to use pretty heavy duty opiate medication.

I would suggest that your hands are by far the best way to hold the iron. I do my work with frequent breaks, I use whatever I need to get the work to the right height so I'm not hunched over, I also use over the counter reading glasses and good lighting, a big help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.