soldering flux?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not usually, it is too strong for delicate PCB work.
Why do you want to use flux on the PCB?
If it is a home made PCB (bare copper), clean it up with a mild abrasive and then use a solder through coating. If the PCB is commercially made they are usually HASL finished (solder plated) so do not need flux.
Modern Solders are usually rosin cored which acts as a flux anyway so do not need extra flux.

^^ yeah that's what I usually use. I was just wondering if it would work. But thank you. I don't have to wonder anymore!

Depends on the type of plumbing flux. There are two types: one is a white ZnCl2 based flux, the other is basically rosin paste. The rosin paste is 100% OK to use. It's the same stuff that is in rosin-core solder. The ZnCl2 paste is 100% BAD to use. The ZnCl2 leeches into the board and can turn the insulating board conducting. It is impossible to remove once used.

No, definitely not! Plumbing flux could destroy a PCB. Use proper electronic solder wth built-in flux cores.

Not 'could', WILL destroy the board. A fellow at work mistakenly used plumbing flux on board repair. The boards had to be tossed out - about $1500 each.

I also recommend cleaning off rosin fluxes after repairs as the old flux may burn and turn in to unplanned resistors.

When I repair SMD parts, I clean the board after the old part removal, put flux on each pad using a flux pen, place the part, solder it down and clean off the flux.

No don't use the same flux. It will destroy your board. Soldering plumbing and electronics are very different. I would recommend using a good electrical solder with a rosin core like this one: .025" dia. Sn63/Pb37 Rosin Based Wire Solder (1 lb. Spool). You will have to clean the flux off though when your done. They do make no clean wire solder like this one: .020" dia. Sn63/Pb37 No Clean Wire Solder (1 lb. Spool). Which you wouldn't have to clean it when your done. I personally haven't used it but I know it's out there.

Hope that helped!

Anyone who tries soldering electronic components with solid wire solder will soon give-up! It’s nearly impossible. Fortunately the major manufactures of rosin core solder, such as Kester, Multicore, and others include the correct amount of flux for everyday hand soldering. Sometimes additional flux is very helpful when soldering to certain alloys, or when some mild corrosion is present, as is often the case with old copper wire.

Kester makes a very handy pen loaded with 10ml. of flux, that’s applied through a felt tip. They sell for about $5, or slightly less from Amazon. The only drawback to this handy applicator is that after a year or two, the tip will clog with dried flux. I’ve found that simply soaking the tip in lacquer thinner for a minute or so resolves the problem, and it’s good for another year or two.

Flux is essential for flowing certain joints, and surely helps with all of them. I have always done what I was taught by my good friend and true old-school tech and dip my iron tip in pure rosin flux before every joint. I have never gotten a big flux mess on a joint with this method and it makes the solder flow much more readily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.