Oscilloscope for a beginner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
sorry but i got lost in all the 3Ds talking of scopes and i have not been able to understand much.
I am a very beginner and without any real knowledge, so i need something easy to use.
My main, almost only, interest is to check the noise from some DIY power supplies up to 100 V for audio project (preamps).
So I suppose i do not need a big bandwidth, but maybe sensitivity ?
To start i would like a cheap but easy to use scope with a sub connection for the PC
I saw a Member recommending something like this one here

Hantek 6022BE PC-Based USB Digital Storag Oscilloscope 2Channels 20MHz 48MSa/s | eBay

As i said i need it only to check noise out from power supplies
And possibly the ability to generate a sweep 20-20.000 Hz would also be very very much appreciated
Thanks a lot and kind regards,
gino

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Easy one first. For a 20 to 20kHz sweep you can use "Audacity"

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soft...ing-using-audacity-get-you-started-guide.html

The scope I have no experience of other than to say that these cheap PCB based tools are of limited value compared even to a modest spec analogue scope. The spec mentions "input gain range" of 20mv to 5 volts. If that is an equivalent of "volts per division" then its limited. A typical analogue scope would go down to 1mv.

For the price though, they are very good and you will learn a lot.

Thank you very much indeed. I will study this immediately.

The scope I have no experience of other than to say that these cheap PCB based tools are of limited value compared even to a modest spec analogue scope.
The spec mentions "input gain range" of 20mv to 5 volts.
If that is an equivalent of "volts per division" then its limited.
A typical analogue scope would go down to 1mv.
For the price though, they are very good and you will learn a lot

Thanks again
This is really my main need. And actually a 1mV sensibility would be very nice indeed.
I wonder which other models of pc based scopes could give me this kind of value.
Are they much more expensive ?
i could do a little bigger effort for something that i could use also when i will have some more experience (i.e. not a toy)
In particular i like very much to get noise spectra like this one here

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks a lot and kind regards, gino

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I honestly can't really advise on the scope, I've no experience of the PC based ones at all. The picture looks as though its using something far more sophisticated and higher specced tbh, particularly when you look at the levels and frequencies.

Wait and see what others think :)

I might want to consider taking a look at Visual Analyzer as well!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/212908-exploring-visual-analyser-va.html#post3028849

It is a sound card based scope that does most everything you would need within the audio range.
It is great for learning the basics of scope controls as well as many other very viable tools such as an RTA a THD meter ,and , impedance measurements that are included and it is free!!

Once you learn calibrate and work with it you will find that it is very accurate!!

http://www.esldiy.com/index.php?topic=176.msg310#msg310

But you can't beat a good decent quality analog scope either!!!

FWIW

jer :)

Last edited:
I might want to consider taking a look at Visual Analyzer as well!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/212908-exploring-visual-analyser-va.html#post3028849
It is a sound card based scope that does most everything you would need within the audio range.
It is great for learning the basics of scope controls as well as many other very viable tools such as an RTA a THD meter ,and , impedance measurements that are included and it is free!!
Once you learn calibrate and work with it you will find that it is very accurate!!
The Visual Analyzer VA 2011

Hi and thanks a lot ! lots of functions indeed
I am mostly interested in noise spectra from power supply
But some more flexibility is clearly welcom
I will study it

But you can't beat a good decent quality analog scope either!!!
FWIW

What can be considered a decent entry level for this ? how much would it cost ? just to have a reference
Thanks again, gino

That's a sweet deal Mooly!!

I have had a 40Mhz Hitachi V-425 for the last 30years and has never failed me.

I haven't needed anything faster until recent years but it still suits me well for my audio and video work.

If I were to get another one the 100Mhz scopes are a fine bargain these days.

If your budget allows I have seen some very nice 300Mhz to 400Mhz analog Tektronix scopes for less the $400!!

That is a far cry from the $1000 I paid for mine brand new back in about 1984!!! ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If you want to measure the noise in the audio band, your sound card is the first choice because of its high sensity - unrivalled by any oscilloscope.
But if you want to trace the hiqh frequent noise like voltage ripple and other peakes, you will need an oscilloscope.
Bandwith 10..20MHz will do.
I would prefer a stand-alone oscilloscope, not a USB-scope. Comparing prices USB-scopes are expensive sometimes.
So I would recommend some 2-channel oscilloscope from Rigol in the price region of 300 Euro.
Used analog scopes are bulky and do not offer any signal storage, a feature you will love instantly!;)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

It was first out of the bag tbh but its the sort of thing that would be a good first scope.

(We used to use Hitachi scopes at work back in the 90's (The 525 ???) the one with on screen manual cursors. They were very good. Used to use Trio as well. These days I use a Hung Chang 5510 which is a 100MHz bandwidth with true dual timebase but I'm not sure I'd recommend the brand as I've had a couple of problems with mine. Latest was a failed "X" deflection transistor)

Yep, Mine has the Onscreen cursors and it was the best decsion I had ever made for the times.
I would never get another one with out it.
I was just looking and saw a Tektronix 2225 50Mhz for ($)21.00 with less than a day to go!!

The only thing I regret was not getting the version that had a Dual Timebase as well. ;)

Something like this would be a minimum,
Hameg 20MHz Oscilloscope HM203-6 GWO | eBay
No traditional analogue scope will do FFT analysis which is what your picture shows.

Thanks again. Most of the terms are unknown to me
I will start or with the SW or the simple usb interface
I need to understand i little what i am doing ... then with some experience maybe an upgrade would be reasonable
But now i have nothing
Thanks a lot again, gino

If you want to measure the noise in the audio band, your sound card is the first choice because of its high sensity - unrivalled by any oscilloscope.
But if you want to trace the hiqh frequent noise like voltage ripple and other peakes, you will need an oscilloscope.
Bandwith 10..20MHz will do.
I would prefer a stand-alone oscilloscope, not a USB-scope.
Comparing prices USB-scopes are expensive sometimes.
So I would recommend some 2-channel oscilloscope from Rigol in the price region of 300 Euro.
Used analog scopes are bulky and do not offer any signal storage, a feature you will love instantly!;)

Hi and thanks a lot
Yes mainly that also because i think that noise outside the audio range is not so critical for analog audio equipment, maybe for digital.
Now i have to try something ...
Thanks again, gino

I haven't needed anything faster until recent years but it still suits me well for my audio and video work.
If I were to get another one the 100Mhz scopes are a fine bargain these days.
If your budget allows I have seen some very nice 300Mhz to 400Mhz analog Tektronix scopes for less the $400!!
That is a far cry from the $1000 I paid for mine brand new back in about 1984!!! )

Hi and thanks for advice and offer
I am always on the move and for that a pc based solution is most interesting to me even if i understand it will have big limits
In the future maybe ...
Thanks again, gino

Hi it is me again
In the end i bought an Hantek 6022be that i hope to receive soon.

As i am impatient i understand that using a normal usb sound card and a SW Oscilloscope i can turn the pc in a digital scope
Could you suggest me a nice software oscilloscope for win 7 ?
Possibly not very expensive but decent in performance.
Thanks a lot indeed.
Kind regards, gino

Visual Analyzer, It is Free !!! ;)

I show here that it nearly out does my scope!!!

The Visual Analyzer VA 2011

and more,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/212908-exploring-visual-analyser-va-3.html#post3383659

You can get it here and the link to the latest version is found in the forum once you sign up to it,

Visual Analyser

I see that VA2014 is now on the main download page,

Download

Cheers!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.