Low Frequency Analog and Digital Signal Generator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Low Frequency Analog and Digital Signal Test Generator

Hello friends.
Maybe this will be interesting for somebody:
JKGEN - ALTOR AUDIO

Attachments

• jkg_view.png
    jkg_view.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,161
Last edited:
Peer Review....

That's better ;).
$520.00 might be a bit pricey for some around here, but not all.
Send a copy to RNMarsh for evaluation.
Richard has an extensive range of high performance test gear that would be useful to verify/categorise the performance of your device.

With his seal of approval you would likely gain much interest in your product.

Dan.

Your website is not complete...not good for business.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think its interesting. Especially the ability to generate DSD test files. I would like more DSD test files than are listed but they cover most of the requirements. Getting DSD into external devices is the hard part. Most only support USB. A few support SPDIF. I2S is kind of a misnomer for DSD since DSD would be L, R & CLK which don't match I2S. Some devices change their inputs and others have separate inputs for DSD.

Another useful feature would be to be able to add jitter to the data stream to test for jitter reduction at the receiver/audio output. In this context a Dunn J-Test signal would be great.

That's better ;).
$520.00 might be a bit pricey for some around here, but not all.

There is an option, to buy it for $180.

Send a copy to RNMarsh for evaluation.
Richard has an extensive range of high performance test gear that would be useful to verify/categorise the performance of your device.

With his seal of approval you would likely gain much interest in your product.

Dan.

I'll think.

Your website is not complete...not good for business.

I just make it as a documentation and firmware upgrade storage.

BTW, I put a CAD image to the 1st message, and can't edit it. So, here is a real device's image:

Attachments

• G384-12.JPG
    G384-12.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,165
I think its interesting. Especially the ability to generate DSD test files. I would like more DSD test files than are listed but they cover most of the requirements. Getting DSD into external devices is the hard part. Most only support USB. A few support SPDIF. I2S is kind of a misnomer for DSD since DSD would be L, R & CLK which don't match I2S. Some devices change their inputs and others have separate inputs for DSD.

DSD Bus and I2S But shares the same output connector's pins:
WCLK = L
SDATA = R
BCLK = CLK

Another useful feature would be to be able to add jitter to the data stream to test for jitter reduction at the receiver/audio output. In this context a Dunn J-Test signal would be great.

In the development.

Device's firmware is easy upgradable from the USB-stick (disk on key)

I think the Left channel is always drawn on top, atleast on schematics. Don't know about RCAs...

Gajanan Phadte
It is not so important, in normal operation both channels are the same.
User can select between in-phase channels (L+R), out of phase (L-R), one channel (L or R) or bot mute.

I implement out of phase signal when I prototyping tube push-pull output stage.

BTW, I'm also have some external accessories to the generator:
- comparator, to get the square wave with 500v/us rise/down time
- 2CH high voltage amplifier (200v p-p) - for tube circuits development.

I do not have a plans to manufacture these accessories , but I can provide the empty PCB for DIY, as a gift with generator.
(this time there is no PCB for high voltage amp, I make it on a breadboard, but will be...)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
DSD Bus and I2S But shares the same output connector's pins:
WCLK = L
SDATA = R
BCLK = CLK

In the development.

Device's firmware is easy upgradable from the USB-stick (disk on key)

Are you planning or already set up with a modulatable master clock for the jitter reduction testing?

What is not included in the DIY board kit? It seems to not include the DAC board. Are all the other essential parts included in the PCB kits, including the display?

Are you planning or already set up with a modulatable master clock for the jitter reduction testing?

It is not possible in the current HW, but it is possible to use external 512Fs or 1024Fs clock.

What is not included in the DIY board kit?

It is simpler to say "what included" :)

JKGEN Kit - is what you see on a photo.
JKGEN DIY Kit - initially, there are 3 bare PCB (CPU, Output, Front Panel) plus asembled Clock Module.
And only 3 non assembled (used should solder) components:
- CPU with the necessary software inside (bootloader + firmware ),
- Display,
- Encoder.

All other components (including the cables) the user should buy and solder by himself. But I'm flexible to make custom order, and to add some other components (except R and C) with or without additional money (depends which components).
Most comonents that I use are from Mouser and DK.

It seems to not include the DAC board. Are all the other essential parts included in the PCB kits, including the display?

DAC board includes - "Output".
Full device consicts of 4 molules:
1) CPU Board,
2) Clock Module
3) Output Module (I2S Buffer, DAC and TOSLINK)
4) Front Panel.

Here on a photo you can see all set.
Output Module is old version, with one minor mistake, now ther is a new version.
Front Panel can be or with 3 pushbuttons or with encoder. At photo - with buttons.
(Don't pay attantion to the IR receiver at Front Panel Module and free component places at tha main board - these modules are also used at another product, Jitter Killer).

Attachments

• JkGen_Set_PCBA.jpg
    JkGen_Set_PCBA.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 501
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I got the generator todat and already used it for a few measurements; http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-4961.html#post3868679 . I think its even better than it sounds from the description. I have a few quibbles with the UI I'll review with Altor and I'll post some measurements from it in a few days. In combination with a good audio analyzer its a really powerful solution. This is similar Digirator DR2 - Digital Audio Signal Generator but its $1800 and has a lot of features that most will never need.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just got another firmware upgrade. Alex has added Jtest to the suite and the UI is proving pretty quick and easy to use now. I'll try to post some measurements from this box later this week.

So far I can say that anyone developing a DAC product should have one. You can do many of the tests with other stuff but not as conveniently and some of the tests are almost impossible to duplicate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.