Measuring problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm not familiar with Clio, I'm wondering whether you are getting feedback. Also strange that there is such a big difference between swept sine and MLS (they should be almost identical).

Check your sound card settings and make sure that what you are recording is not being sent back out to the speakers (often a tick box called something like "record without monitoring").

You could try downloading holmimpulse and see whether you are getting similar issues, this will give you an idea as to whether it is a hardware or software issue.

Tony.

Hi Tony.

Thanks for your feedback. I've tried different soundcard/Clio-mic settings in the software with no succes.
I do not understand the big differents between the measurements.

Whatever is measured in the sinusoidal mode, does obviously occurre in the MLS to.
But i've no clue what causes it.

Any respons is most appriciated. I've written to audiomatic and awaiting some feedback from them.

Thanks for your respons, guys.

Marsh -> He is pic with the D30 mounted in the speaker:

4.jpg

Barley -> What do you mean by "driving the tweeter with" ? No, i've not yet verified if the mic is defekt. I'm not using an amp - as far as i understand, i can just use the internal amp with Clio 10FW. So Output-> XLR/crcocodile is directly connected to the tweeter. In the manual it says, it's no need to use the 12V input, when i'm using firewire 6pin/6pin cable.

VaNarn -> Oh my.. what kind of supply, would work with the mic and my Clio ? Bare with me :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are you doing ground plane windowed measurements? The measurement window looks wrong per your plots. You are getting input from reflections and possibly ambient noise.

Getting the right supply voltage for the mike is important,especially for its sensitivity calibration. Also the preamp may misbehave if the suply is too low. Using clipleads to connect a mike signal will also capture lots of emi which you don't want.

This stuff is never as simple as it looks.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I should have noticed that your output level window was set at 1 V.This indicates that you are driving your speakers for a frequency response level sweep using the control box without an amplifier,i.e. you have a series resistor added to the speaker impedance,forming a voltage divider.You will need an amplifier and a kit based on a LM3875 i.c. (or similar) would be suitable for this application.Also a precaution when testing tweeters ,is to open the 'settings' dialogue box,the yellow symbol with the two ticks (on the line ,to the right of the green start arrow) and alter the L.F. limit from the 10 Hz setting to say,500Hz. For phantom power an 18V supply can be made from two 9V batteries ,plus a switch ,but they and the wiring must be shielded from EMI and RFI.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.