Recommendations on a CNC machine for PCBs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am getting really tired of etching and manually drilling holes with a dremel, so I am looking at getting a CNC machine for pcbs. I'm looking spend less than $1000 on one and would like some recommendations... not looking for something to break in 3 weeks or to be very sloppy with precision. I also want to use 10 mil spacing and 10 mil tracks no sweat.

How is something like this?

Hot Sale PCB?s Drilling Milling 2518B Engraving CNC Router ENGRAVER Machine | eBay

Or any brands/ebay auctions you guys suggest?

As this is a DIY forum, have you looked at the many DIY CNC/router designs? Some even swap out the head to do 3D fab.

I was looking at the old woodworking CNC router Sears used to sell as the company still sells them under their own name. The step increment is WAY too large.

I had a guy make me some PCBs using a CNC router. The results were awful.

The common method to use the CNC machine is only to remove a tiny amount of copper immediately adjacent to the tracks leaving the remaining copper untouched. In my application this left a lot of unwanted capacitance on the board which made it useless.

I had a guy make me some PCBs using a CNC router. The results were awful.

The common method to use the CNC machine is only to remove a tiny amount of copper immediately adjacent to the tracks leaving the remaining copper untouched. In my application this left a lot of unwanted capacitance on the board which made it useless.

Did you use the remaining copper as a ground plane/shield? I would think for audio frequencies it wouldn't be a problem, but who knows.

True, you can buy a lot of PCBs for the cost, but I find mine invaluable for front and rear panels and other small things. Also, there is the convenience of designing your PCB then soldering it 30 minutes later, rather than 3 weeks later.

I don't think the reprap has the necessary precision. I've got a 3020 and the specs quoted by dirkwright are accurate, and I get excellent results.

KatieandDad, I saw the PCB you received and I agree it was horrendous. I'd have been embarrassed to send that out to a paying customer. I can only assume it was made on something like a reprap with a poor cutter.

There is a learning curve with getting the machines set up and working smoothly, let alone getting from a design to a cut PCB. Documentation is poor (quoted settings untrustworthy) and I had to have a lot of handholding and experimentation. And you need to design your PCB in accordance within the capabilities of isolation milling. No bother though once you have a hang of it, and I actually enjoy making PCBs now.

Just be aware though, if you are aiming to make the most tiny SMT boards, it's not the best solution. But anything for regular assembly by hand it's fine.

Last edited:
I think what you want is called a CNC router, not a CNC milling machine. They are different. Something like this would be fine in my opinion:
New 3020 Desktop Router ENGRAVER Drilling Milling Engraving Machine CNC G | eBay

Repeatable to 0.05 mm, spindle precision of 0.03 mm.

Just know that you need a computer and software to go with it.

Also, I should mention that the computer has to have a parallel port to work with this machine. Laptops generally don't have those any more.

Even if I could do the CNC machining myself, I couldn't match what Pad2Pad produces. I don't have a clue how to make plated through holes, for example. I don't know how to make a solder mask either. Some things are just not worth my time to learn, but of course that comes at a cost. Any Pad2Pad order is going to be at least $90, for 4 boards typically, but only $110 or so for 8 of them, so I get 8.

Likewise with sheet metal bending. I'm still debating whether it's worth the time, money and effort to get my own sheet metal bending, cutting and fabricating equipment or just use a service like eMachine. It's the same deal as Pad2Pad, setup is at least $90 for simple parts, so it only makes sense to order 8 of them for $135 or so.

and now I've completed a simple design on eMachine and they are expensive! (at least I think so). 10"x5" with all 4 edges folded 90 deg to make .434" flaps, T6, 0.031" thick aluminum, 6 of them would be $25 each, 8 of them would be $20 each. This is taking a flat piece of metal and folding up 4 edges... nothing fancy at all. It should be far simpler to make this folded piece of sheet metal than to make a circuit board....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.