Do you belong to a Makers/Hackers Space?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've noticed I rarely see references to makers spaces in these forums even though the ethos of the diy audio community and the makers movement is the same, with this community merely having a more narrow focus.

I belong to diyode in Guelph, Ontario. In the last couple years we have acquired a cnc router, cnc milling machine, a sheet metal brake and a laser cutter.

We also have a full woodwork shop and an electronics bench.

Most importantly, there is almost always someone who knows how to do whatever it is that one might want to learn about.

Anyone else?

Yes although they don't generally call themselves a club. We describe ourselves as a community workshop but its semantics. The difference is that our 70 or so members dont have a common interest. Just the desire to build and fix things.

Make magazine is the publication that is geared to these sorts of places and the maker faires that occur in new york, detroit, SF, and other cities are the big meetups.

The coolest thing is that there is a specification from MIT called Fablab which allows makers spaces, or any organization that can meet the spec, to settle on standards which will allow any project in any fablab space to be recreated in another. It involves things like cnc, milling machings, laser cutters, 3d printers and so on.

I've been told these things exist in practically every major city in the world.

Curious I never hear them mentioned here. We do have several people interested in audio or music instruments.

I wasn't aware of anything like that locally, but, I just googled and found there is an embryonic makerspace here. So far it's just a welcome page and a contact address.

There certainly are tools that I'd like occasional access to, like media blasting or a TIG welder, lathe, and milling machine. But I couldn't commit to anything like $100 a month at the moment.

I've noticed I rarely see references to makers spaces in these forums even though the ethos of the diy audio community and the makers movement is the same
Is it?

I dabble in audio and RF electronics primarily because I enjoy the technical challenge of it. I suspect that many on here are the same. I find the mechanical aspects of building things is a nuisance to be overcome.

with this community merely having a more narrow focus
Yes, the merely mechanical bits are much more narrow than the circuit design and debugging. Maybe 'makers' could do the boring bits for us?

Makers is a generic term. Most spaces have electronics benches with whatever you might want and members with the sophistication to use them.

There are people hacking together bookshelves as well as people doing robotics. Members are artists, musicians, tinkerers, engineers, programmers, small business owners etc.

In fact, an offshoot of our space is the 'codeshield' arduino shield. Its an arduino shield and programming interface intended to facilitate programming and electronics eduction in schools and universities. All designed, and programmed within diyode by its members. I believe some have made their way into university classrooms where they used to teach things like robotics. (Google diyode codeshield if your curious).

All that said, I was simply referring to the diy ethos.

Yes, the merely mechanical bits are much more narrow than the circuit design and debugging. Maybe 'makers' could do the boring bits for us?

Actually, it's quite the opposite. Learn how to make and/or program a 3 or 4 axis cnc, or a 3-d printer, then you'll probably re-think the "more narrow" aspect.

How about a laser scanning 3-d profiler?

Maker spaces are very good. My friend and I have been discussing setting one up here. Getting the kids who are wire geeks, programming geeks, and motorheads together on a project..man, what a teaching tool.

Either it will be great, or we should all be scared...very scared.

jn

Ahhh... Call it anything you like. I wasn't posting a manifesto.

Ignore condescending posters.

Many of the members here do have a need for wood or metal work, and I bet many haven't even heard of maker spaces.

I suspect that there is a lot of need here that could be filled by others with the skills and tools. Getting the tools is the hard part.

jn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.