Finding a affordable hot air solder station for beginner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am basically tired of visiting my campus all the time when i need to solder SMD components (and through-hole), so i think its time to buy one since they are at a pricelevel which is affordable.

I have been looking around on Aliexpress at brands such as Saike and Atten.

Ended up with this station, which is seems rather portable and not that huge on my office table:

Free shipping Saike 909d Hot air guns soldering station power supply 3 in 1 multi function 220V or 110V-in Electric Soldering Irons from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com

Any comments and recommendations? I dont want to exceed 130$ incl. shipping to Europe.

I picked up a 2 in 1 rework station last year, a GQ5200.
I had to open it up to replace a broken tie wrap on the pump assembly, so I decided to make a few other changes while I was in there.
After replacing numerous early failure brand x / no-name electrolytics on various audio, pc, video and power supply gear, I decided it would be a good idea to do the same right away on the rework station.
I also added a power kill switch, to allow for complete power shut down to the unit, after it has cycled itself off in its cool down stage.
I cleaned up and rerouted any wiring that needed it to be safe, as well as cleaned up a few suspect solder joints.

I also did something similar to an Atten APS 3005S power supply.
Routed and secured wiring in a safer configuration, cleaned up a few suspect looking joints, replaced no-name electrolytics with Nichicon pieces from Mouser, replaced the exhaust fan grill with a less obstructive one from an old pc power supply, and installed a quieter fan.

Something you might want to consider when picking up any low cost gear.
Sometimes the quality control and components used are not the best, but that is something a competent diyer can usually take care of.

Attachments

• GQ5200.jpg
    GQ5200.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 185
  • GQ5200 Mods.jpg
    GQ5200 Mods.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 187
I am not shocked if the components are garbage inside, that is taken into consideration as im coming from a lab only consisting of Weller. But is the unit still alive and working as it should?

I picked up a 2 in 1 rework station last year, a GQ5200.
I had to open it up to replace a broken tie wrap on the pump assembly, so I decided to make a few other changes while I was in there.
After replacing numerous early failure brand x / no-name electrolytics on various audio, pc, video and power supply gear, I decided it would be a good idea to do the same right away on the rework station.
I also added a power kill switch, to allow for complete power shut down to the unit, after it has cycled itself off in its cool down stage.
I cleaned up and rerouted any wiring that needed it to be safe, as well as cleaned up a few suspect solder joints.

I also did something similar to an Atten APS 3005S power supply.
Routed and secured wiring in a safer configuration, cleaned up a few suspect looking joints, replaced no-name electrolytics with Nichicon pieces from Mouser, replaced the exhaust fan grill with a less obstructive one from an old pc power supply, and installed a quieter fan.

Something you might want to consider when picking up any low cost gear.
Sometimes the quality control and components used are not the best, but that is something a competent diyer can usually take care of.

I wouldn't call the internal parts junk, I just don't trust the brand x electrolytics.
The GQ unit works great, never had any issues with it.
It also came with a bunch of spare parts too, spare iron tips, spare iron heater, spare air heating element, multiple air nozzle sizes.
I don't use the soldering iron though, because I have a Weller WTCPS which I prefer.
I use the station mostly for applying heat shrink, which it is great for.
If you check whats out there, there are 2 main types for the inexpensive hot air units.
One style has an air pump inside the main unit, and an air hose that runs to the hand held piece.
The other style has a small fan unit right inside the hand held piece.
I decided to go with the air pump style unit, and it works quite well.
SMD HOT AIR Rework Station 952 Welding Soldering Iron | eBay
If you do a search for 3 in 1 rework, there are units that incorporate a small power supply in them.
I bought one of these for a friend, and he says it works well for him
853D 3in1 SMD Soldering Iron HOT AIR GUN Rework Station DC Power Supply Digital | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.