Issues using E-MU 0404 USB for measurements (ARTA and RMAA)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pc Troubles.

I want to set up an old pc PIII 733 MHz as audio analyzer,WIN XP based.
I managed to have a fresh copy Win xp ser.pack 3.
Then i have already instal sound card drivers.
I have tryed Rmaa and ARTA as soft.
Both crach at start up and "send microsoft don't send" message is appear on screen.
An exactly same type sound card is working properly in another pc P4.
Any suggestion?
Thimios

First the 7 ohm dummy load was with a low inductance?
What was the input voltage to the sound blaster after the voltage divider?

Second, I think that the processor power is low for the testing. I have tried both of them from P4 and up without significant problems.
Really, what is the processor for the fft captures that before upload? 96KHz and 131K(FFT) needs quickly cpu.

First the 7 ohm dummy load was with a low inductance?
What was the input voltage to the sound blaster after the voltage divider?

Second, I think that the processor power is low for the testing. I have tried both of them from P4 and up without significant problems.
Really, what is the processor for the fft captures that before upload? 96KHz and 131K(FFT) needs quickly cpu.
I don't know it is a compination of 1R/17W resistors.
Inp voltage is about 200mV(4VRMS on load 7R.
This is the setup for previus tests.(successfully).
The issue is in another pc without any connection on sound cards sockets.
The issue isn't the prossesor speed.
Arta didn't start at all.The error message appear instantly after click on the lunch icon

Sound blaster

I have read ARTA "help"carefully and then loop test repeated.
Here are results.This seems to be more closer to truth.

Attachments

• Sound Blaster Loop Tested.JPG
    Sound Blaster Loop Tested.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
I recently managed to pick up E-mu 0404 USB 2.0 for audio measurement purpose only so I have a question about loop-back measurement setup:
- for best results should I use a pair of balanced TRS-TRS connectors/cables or unbalanced TS-TS connectors/cables (+6dB difference noted for balanced version)?

Have in mind that the technical specifications for the EMU-0404 is there: http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=15185

Have in your mind that the input of TRS is 1Mega and the balanced input about 1.5K
The trs input has the same THD+N with balanced and a little better DR by 0.5dB
The balanced input isn't good choice due to lower input impedance but the trs input is perfect.
The analogue resistance output is the same for both output SE/Balanced and is 560 ohm - of course there is a different level of output btw them.
If you make a loopback measurement it is better to done with trs input due to 560:1.000.000 ratio.
The gnd lift that there is under of device is major help about gnd issues, don't forget at your measurements!

Although I have only just installed my 0404 as of late.......for a solid place to start, do the following:

If you just received your E-MU 0404, ONLY use the right channel as the left may NOT have been modified to fix the terrible noise from poor design. You can find the thread about high noise on the left channel by searching the forums.

Set the INPUT gain potentiometer to the minimum setting(fully CCW) and LEAVE IT THERE.............for now.

Connect the OUTPUT port to a DMM and read the OUTPUT voltage (for this I use a TR to BNC cable and connect it to my DMM). Set the OUTPUT voltage to 0.500 volts with the POT (mine sits at about 1 o'clock when the output is 0.5v) while you are sending the INTERNAL SINE signal to the OUTPUT and DO NOT TOUCH IT after that!!!!!! Leave it alone. To be clear..........the INTERNAL source amplitude is set to 1.0v and the POT makes it 0.5V

Now perform the calibration in the ARTA software. IF you EVER move or bump the OUTPUT potentiometer, you MUST recalibrate!!!!!

After you have been able to get consistent readings from the setup you can play with the settings of the OUTPUT and INPUT potentiometers to achieve maximum results with a minimum of noise. So far I have not found a need to increase the INPUT gain control beyond fully CCW.

If you are using an EXTERNAL sine source you do NOT need to recalibrate the system UNLESS you use a different input amplitude than the one you set for the INTERNAL one. So if you calibrated the system with an INTERNAL sine of 0.500 volts, then simply set your EXTERNAL source for an amplitude of 0.500 volts and leave it be. NO need to recalibrate the whole system.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
If you just received your E-MU 0404, ONLY use the right channel as the left may NOT have been modified to fix the terrible noise from poor design. You can find the thread about high noise on the left channel by searching the forums.
Perhaps its worth noting that the parasitic noise components are at discrete frequencies and are down near the noise floor and don't vary (as best I can tell), and are almost within the noise floor if input gain is up high. So for many tests, that noise is not a concern and only needs to be appreciated, and may be of no concern if working at lower frequencies.

I often purposefully use the left channel, in case any rare event damages an input.

Hi David and lemon

Thanks for the input...
Here is my HW/SW setup:
- 10+ years old HP8630s laptop, Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, RAM 4G, 64-bit operating system Win10
- E-mu 0404 USB with latest beta ASIO driver
- ARTA 1.9.1 version
- 24-bit, 192kHz used during measurement
- TRS balanced cables in-out
- calibration in the ARTA software done with 1Vrms output (main output pot at almost 3 o'clock, Hi-Z/Line input pots at little over 9 o'clock (better THD and THD+N numbers then if the output voltage is set at 0.5Vrms)
Whether my measurements make any sense to you all?

Attachments

• E-MU 0404 USB loopback bal 24b 48k left.png
    E-MU 0404 USB loopback bal 24b 48k left.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 240
  • E-MU 0404 USB loopback bal 24b 48k right.png
    E-MU 0404 USB loopback bal 24b 48k right.png
    111 KB · Views: 237
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.