Solder Station Score!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using cheapo solder irons for way, way, too long, decided to pop for a proper one. At my local Rad Shack, they had a Weller WESD51 marked down at $95. I was a bit dubious of the price, as it's Rad Shack, but I checked Amazon, and they have them for $150.

Guess I did pretty good. What's the deal with that dry sponge on the drip tray? Do I keep that wet and wipe the tip frequently? I'm a bit of a newbie with high quality audio kits.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Also, clean your tip before you use it and not afterwords, the excess tin and lead will protect your tip from oxidation,

ahh, is that not somewhat 'old tip' ... or should I say, more concerning older tip technology ?

I think a tip should always be kept clean and free from contamination at all times

but yeah, if you do very serious solder work, always wet and clean before soldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.