Good solder station?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
JBC has expensive tips. So does the 13.56 MHZ Metcal series. Those are the pure pro irons. Both are great. And they drive various accessories. Separate tray is best ergonomics.
If someone needs a VFM unit and economic spares, he should be looking for semi pro. Its a toss between OKI-Metcal PS-900 and Ersa Nano depending on wanting a Curie auto iron or a sensor iron with temp setting. Nano has the more agile handle. Hakko is overpriced in EU no contest. Weller and Pace are cumbersome in the entry level arena. Ersa Pico is great VFM to avoid the Chinese useless sub 100 Euro toy category. Thermaltronics TMT-2000S is PS900 equivalent but has an extra OR port. Worthy at 470 kHz.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
truthfully ersa is hard to come by here in the usa. So I know very little about them.

If the thread opener was in the USA I would also advise him a Hakko FX triple eight for instance. Great value there. The world markets differ for availability and value between makers for sure. For him to avoid getting a slow & heavy, plastic encased bad copy iron like those in his links he better google about the quick overview info we provided and decide. The iron quality is very important for fast, successful, and enjoyable work. Also a Kester roll of eutectic solder wire is a good partner. Some flux pen and liquid too.

P.S. Ersa is historic, also makes factory automation soldering machines. For handhelds has very nice quality tips and good enough modern stations. Not trailblazers but some are well positioned for features VS price.

After weeks of head banging a few months ago trying to decide like you which one to buy, I got the ersa rds 80. No regrets, absolutely happy with it.

Problem these days is that we all buy online to save some money which results to physical shops to shut down, so we can't go give a close look. Not only soldering stations but all testing equipment. Deciding on an oscilloscope......that's struggle.......

Pace is a bit behind the times. With the invention of the RF induction irons, heat up times are measured in 1-5seconds, with some like JBC, "overclocking" the iron to allow easy soldering even on heavy ground planes. The recent Weller series is a direct response to JBC, Metcal, Ersa, etc.

JBC example:
CD-2BB Digital Solder Kit

I was not aware of soldering irons using RF induction.
I've not seen this specified yet, or maybe missed to see it.
Are such irons reliable ?

Currently, I have a 936 Hakko, bought after having read nice comments and I am somewhat disappointed.
Formerly, I had a very old Pace and I felt it very comfortable in my hand and in delevering heat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.