DMM test probes!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I just compared two test probes, one is the Fluke TL175 ($25) and the other is the Pomona 5519A ($15). First, I would say both are excellent test probes (silicone wires). But will the "extra" $10 made a big difference in quality? I would say...Not really!. even though Pomona is owned by Fluke, I would say I like the pomona build quality in some aspects. First if you see the picture of the Pomona "flexibility" banana plugs material compared to the "hard" banana plugs in the Fluke. I would say I like the "flexibility" of the Pomona better than the Fluke, because you can not brake those plugs. I say this because I had the Fluke TL75 test probes(worse of Fluke) and I "pressed" a little and cracked the plastic shrouded plugs. I think if I press enough I can crack "easily" the banana shrouded plugs of the TL175. The thing I like the most in the TL175 is the "retractible" tip safety thing. the rest in quality I would say by touching and looking they are excellent probes. I would STRONGLY recommend the Pomona 5519A test probes, they are excellent quality and they are not too expensive.

Attachments

• SAM_0814.JPG
    SAM_0814.JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 369
  • SAM_0828.JPG
    SAM_0828.JPG
    723.8 KB · Views: 106
  • SAM_0827.JPG
    SAM_0827.JPG
    737.2 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_0826.JPG
    SAM_0826.JPG
    735.1 KB · Views: 93
  • SAM_0825.JPG
    SAM_0825.JPG
    747.5 KB · Views: 95
  • SAM_0824.JPG
    SAM_0824.JPG
    742.9 KB · Views: 80
  • SAM_0821.JPG
    SAM_0821.JPG
    746 KB · Views: 326
  • SAM_0820.JPG
    SAM_0820.JPG
    753.8 KB · Views: 347
  • SAM_0817.JPG
    SAM_0817.JPG
    733.9 KB · Views: 352
  • SAM_0816.JPG
    SAM_0816.JPG
    756.8 KB · Views: 370
My conclusion is: "if" you really need the retractible tip thing and the name of Fluke on the probes, I would get the TL175!...other way I would save money and I would get the Pomona 5519A. As I mentioned before, they are both made really well and you can not get wrong getting either one ;). I can use other brand of test probes, but I will never use a multimeter that is not a Fluke:D
As soon as you work with a Fluke multimeter....you will not want to use your el cheapo multimeter again.

PS: at the end...they are both from Fluke ( Fluke owns Pomona)

Pomona!

Thanks for the nice report... btw - where is your AREA 51? is it the same area 51 I used to work at... NTS?

-Richard Marsh

Yes! that is the same one...you know with the ET guys! :D
I am glad you liked the review. as I mentioned before, these Pomona test leads are excellent quality for the money, so if you ever order from Digikey, mouser etc...just put these Pomona on the list, they are $15 and I can tell you that these Pomona leads are way better than the Fluke TL75. I can say the Pomona leads are the same or better than the famous Fluke TL71! The pomona banana shrouded material is FLEXIBLE...so it will NOT crack if it is pushed or squeezed. The Fluke TL175 has a solid plastic banana shroud so if pressed enough...they will brake for sure!.:(

I like the enhanced safety of the shrouded plugs.
I also cover the "exposed" probes to minimise the risk of shorting.

I like the low resistances and flexibility of the "many fine strands" type of cable.

When working with AC I keep my leads twisted to help attenuate the effects of external magnetic fields on the loop area of the measurement system.

I compared side by side the Pomona and the Fluke TL175 and the ONLY thing that I like in the Fluke better than the Pomona is the ability to "cover" the extra metal test tips. I find it very useful when working in tight spaces full with parts that you can touch by accident (accidents happen) and short out components.
other than that...the Pomona is the winner hands down!.

Has anyone considered expanding this thread to include some specialized leads?
What I'm thinking of are the DMM leads with alligator clips or spring hooks instead of the "nail" -type probe ends.
These are almost a necessity when you want to monitor VIR behavior while you use your hands to adjust, tweak, and fiddle with other parts of the circuit.
They are available as accessory leads, and some are adapters that just clip onto the regular probes. And some are... DIY.:)

POMONA ELECTRONICS IS NO FLUKE!

After breaking the tip off one of my 18 year old Fluke probes, I found a set at the local Home Depot that are identical in appearance and feel to the Flukes. I think I paid about $12 for them.

I worked for a division of ITT back when ITT owned Pomona Electronics. We purchased and used a huge amount of their products in our RF R&D lab. Everything they had was excellent, especially the cast aluminum project boxes, covers, and their accessories.

Since I work most the time in tight places where I can short out parts by accident (it happens)...I decided to protect the exposed tips of the Pomona test leads using this shrinkable tubing, as you can see they work pretty well. I know it is not so safe, but at least it is safer than working with all the tips exposed.

PS: To put this shrinkable tubing is not so easy, But if you put some oil (cooking oil)on the tips then it goes easily and after that you apply some heat and it will be very tight! I used regular cooking oil.

Attachments

• SAM_1137.JPG
    SAM_1137.JPG
    741.4 KB · Views: 126
  • SAM_1143.JPG
    SAM_1143.JPG
    743.5 KB · Views: 123
  • SAM_1147.JPG
    SAM_1147.JPG
    763.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
After breaking the tip off one of my 18 year old Fluke probes, I found a set at the local Home Depot that are identical in appearance and feel to the Flukes. I think I paid about $12 for them.

I worked for a division of ITT back when ITT owned Pomona Electronics. We purchased and used a huge amount of their products in our RF R&D lab. Everything they had was excellent, especially the cast aluminum project boxes, covers, and their accessories.

Good test leads at Home depot? Wow, I have NEVER seen good test leads there. They only have these cheap test leads made in China and they are made of PVC :(. These Pomona cost around $15 and they are "equal or better" than the Fluke's!

My Simpson 270 probes have a threaded base that takes a screw on alligator clip.

EZhook make a range of hooks but I haven't tried them.

Electronic Test Solutions | Hooks, Probes, Leads, Connectors, Adaptors & More | E-Z-Hook

I find better the the ones that you just push in...I have used both ways! The "push in" are faster to work with and I think they are safer in a kind of way that if by accident you pull leads they will come apart and will not pull the board or anything grabbed to the clips:p

Good test leads at Home depot? Wow, I have NEVER seen good test leads there. They only have these cheap test leads made in China and they are made of PVC :(. These Pomona cost around $15 and they are "equal or better" than the Fluke's!

Bought them about five years ago, and I was actually quite surprised at their quality, else I would have passed on them. There may not currently be anything good there.

Who did you get the Pomona's from? I should get a spare set, since it is likely I won't break a lead until I really need to use it and there's no place open at the time.

Pomona 5519A!

Bought them about five years ago, and I was actually quite surprised at their quality, else I would have passed on them. There may not currently be anything good there.

Who did you get the Pomona's from? I should get a spare set, since it is likely I won't break a lead until I really need to use it and there's no place open at the time.

I got them from Digikey, but you can find them in many electronics stores like: Mouser, MCM electronics, Digikey etc. it is a very good idea to ALWAYS have a "spare" test leads just in case the ones you are using brake. I would be very mad if I was working and the leads break....then I would have to wait to order new ones and that would take at least a few days to get them. Beside these test leads are not expensive. I have two set of test leads. the Fluke TL175 and the Pomona 5519A. Next time you order some parts from any of these seller, just add the Pomona 5519A on your list...you will be not disappointed with their quality;)

I got them from Digikey, but you can find them in many electronics stores like: Mouser, MCM electronics, Digikey etc. it is a very good idea to ALWAYS have a "spare" test leads just in case the ones you are using brake.

Yes, thanks for the info, I broke one lead of the original Fluke set when the DMM fell and whiplashed it. I put a safety in the measured test points' bracket by allowing it to swivel so (if it happened again) (has) the test leads will turn the bracket and then be released.

I found some fine print on the Home Depot sourced leads. They are branded Sqare D, and listed by UL and CE. Also stated is: 1000 Volts CAT III / 600 Volts CAT IV, 10 Amps.

i guess I was fortunate in finding there at the time. A search for square D test leads gave so many hits I quit persuing further info about them.

There has been a disturbing and increasing occurance
in injuries and even deaths due to the inappropriate use of cheesebag Chinese and other countries' cheapo DMMs in industrial settings. You couldn't keep me further away from such stuff. Working around live electrical equipment is hazardous enough without the electrician or tech tipping the hands of fate by connecting a bomb to it.

Regards, DAAB-

<|>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.