Safeblock for US?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has two functions, one is as a temporary mains plug, and the other is as an outlet tester.

The outlet tester part is simple, any hardware store in America will have outlet testers. For example, Harbor Freight:
Electric Receptacle Tester

I always carry one in my kit. Tells you if outlets are live and if the wiring is correct.

I myself am not aware of a mains plug with clips in the USA, but it sure would not be a big deal to just screw a regular plug onto the end of some wires if I needed that function.

I myself am not aware of a mains plug with clips in the USA, but it sure would not be a big deal to just screw a regular plug onto the end of some wires if I needed that function.

Yes, that was my thought too but the Safeblock opens the circuit when the lid is raised, and is fused. Of course I could construct something along those lines but it would be easier to purchase one.

mattmcl said:
It's not shown in this pic but other sources have the photo with a UK plug. Yeah, I can modify it but was hoping also to save $$ on shipping.
The description of that one says
Please Note: The unit is not supplied with a mains lead or plug as in the picture above because the product is used for lots of applications.
so you won't be paying for the shipping weight of an unwanted UK plug. I suspect that most places will supply it without a plug, even if their photo shows a plug. If not, you could always ask them to remove and discard the plug before shipping.

They have always been known as "safeblocks" in the UK and the original ones used to come without the plug and cable and were made to be mounted on a bench and were made by a company called Safeblock. The name stuck even for later ones made by other companies. I have two early ones from the 1960s that have both been fitted to wooden bases.
This one has seen a bit of action.
How easy is it to get 1 inch cartridge fuses in the United States?

Attachments

• DSCF8451.JPG
    DSCF8451.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF8457.JPG
    DSCF8457.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 56
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Without telling us exactly what type that fuse is it's almost impossible to know. I buy lots of things from the U.K, shipping by Royal Airmail is generally quite quick and inexpensive. If it is made to an older British standard chances are it will be easier and cheaper to find there.

Standard fuses here are usually 1.25" or 20mm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.