FLUKE New 87III or used 87 V for same price?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys! I have the chance to get a "new" in the box Fluke 87 III or a used but in excellent condition Fluke 87 V for the same price that is $200.
I like the idea of knowing that I have a "new" Fluke multimeter. I know the 87 V has more futures, but in reality I will not use them. I saw a post from fluke that some USA soldiers in Afghanistan had problems with the "extreme" heat 130 F and they used the Fluke 87 III but with all this heat they had to cool down the meter since it got the display all black after the meter got a little cooler the meter worked fine(I will try to find the post from Fluke). then they try the 87 V at 130 F and worked without any problems. I know I am not going to work with it at that temperature but it will feel good to know it can work at really high temperature too. So my question is: Should I go for the brand new 87 III or the used but in excellent condition 87 V?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't be afraid of 87V if used in excellent condition. Its very rugged and holds cal well so not to consider some service hours as a negative. The only consideration would be if the "lifetime" warranty is transferable or not. V is more versatile than III. III can be trim pot calibrated when V needs Fluke coding is another difference.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Excellent price. Its half the US usual list price for new 87V. You would be falling off your chair if checking out the import pricing in EU. You can get a brand new 87V with warranty to register on yourself from Amazon at $325.44 and free shipping is the best non used USA market option.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes I know that issue. The late production one with newest TL175 twist guard CAT IV leads does not suffer that GSM bug. I know bcs I tested the one I got a few months ago on a good opportunity I hit on ebay coming from Middle East. That one was Amazon USA level pricing but it only showed up again at 450$. Thankfully it survived the customs with only mm away from the instrument box inspect knife cut and no tax.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its not mentioned for earlier models, probably not being tested for that by users as far as I have seen. This is a truly minor issue for practical use even if with inflicted serial numbers mind you. Brand new 87V of late production are revised. Board Rev 011.

Its not mentioned for earlier models, probably not being tested for that by users as far as I have seen. This is a truly minor issue for practical use even if with inflicted serial numbers mind you. Brand new 87V of late production are revised. Board Rev 011.

I finally got a mint Fluke 87V meter and it has Board Rev 10 on the box says 08/2010 and it does not have any problems with GSM.:D

Maybe you are right! I try with a few cell and nothing. I know the 87v have Rev 09, 10, 11. mine is rev 10. Well for the price that I paid $160 mint condition (see pictures in my other thread) I would not mind if it had that minor issue.;)
This is the best meter I ever had!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.