CaptureWidget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is what you get for $2K from Metric Halo: ULN-2

It really does a lot more. However seeing the price for a premium box for audiophiles established I may want to get one going. Audiophiles pay more and never look at specs, so flowery claims really make a difference.

The ARDA chip makes some broad claims but their specs are not a lot better that the AKM (or the TI).

Attachments

• AK5394A THD+N.PNG
    AK5394A THD+N.PNG
    76.5 KB · Views: 228
  • AT1201 THD+N.PNG
    AT1201 THD+N.PNG
    52.9 KB · Views: 232
This is what you get for $2K from Metric Halo: ULN-2

It really does a lot more. However seeing the price for a premium box for audiophiles established I may want to get one going. Audiophiles pay more and never look at specs, so flowery claims really make a difference.

The ARDA chip makes some broad claims but their specs are not a lot better that the AKM (or the TI).

Notice that just about ever spec is 'A' weighted.
It's not bad but seems average for today.

There is the cost of design, manufacturing, chassis, etc to factor in. It's difficult to sell something in low volumes and make any money unless the price is high.

That box for that particular model (the ULN-2) is a standard design. There's absolutely nothing special about the box. You can get a faceplate made for not much money either. The connectors are standard pro stuff. It has maybe two circuit boards in it, tops. Total cost for the actual parts is maybe a few hundred dollars at best. I doubt they invented anything (and thus have no patents on the design), so the design could not have cost very much. To me, it's a total ripoff. So, thank God for people like Davada who are willing to design something incredibly good for not a ton of money.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.