CaptureWidget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Børge,

Ok, I haven't looked much on the prices, but instead looked at which package they where available in. BGA is difficult to solder at the kitchen table.

However, I assume that the SAM3UC is the cheapest of the two. My interest in the STM32F4 series was also due to the ethernet MAC and the DSP capabilites of the Cortex M4.

I actually bought a AB-12 as I thought you already had changed the AVR32 to a SAM3UC.

But, you can get back to me if there is any interest.

Mogens

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi David,

First I have to admit that I don't know if there is anything USB releated by the ADC changing sample rate autonomously.

But, apart from that I think it would be resonably easy if a SPDIF reciever was to be used. I have some WM8805 around here that might be ok for the job. Perhaps Demian has some suggestions to this.

As for I2S, I don't know if there is any possibilities for (mis)using one of the peripherals on the selected processor for some detecting scheme.

Mogens

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
FYI - Intermission - Cool Little device for retail of only $30! at FRY's Electronics store. You get an ADC. Takes your L and R analog and converts to digital for your new reciever or other digital products. A transistion piece. uses Cirrus CS8427, 5340 and a EM78P153 8-bit mucro proc. Not that it is what you are doing here but just to acknowlege that digital ship has really left the analog shores. Analog is officially - Legacy.

-THx RNMarsh

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have already brought up the use of this chip http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4115/ak4115_f01e.pdf with the audiowidget. I covers three tasks, SPDIF out, SPDIF in and clock generation. It has the ability to detect the incoming clock frequency and communicate it.

The easiest way to see how a system would work is to read through the UAC2 spec here http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Audio2.0_final.zip , its only 144 pages. I believe the driver would generate an interrupt to tell the system when a sample rate change is detected. I'm not sure how the applications would handle that. I suspect most will just crash and you will need to restart them. I can try that later today I think, using the PCI interfaces I have.

I have already brought up the use of this chip http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4115/ak4115_f01e.pdf with the audiowidget. I covers three tasks, SPDIF out, SPDIF in and clock generation. It has the ability to detect the incoming clock frequency and communicate it.

The easiest way to see how a system would work is to read through the UAC2 spec here http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Audio2.0_final.zip , its only 144 pages. I believe the driver would generate an interrupt to tell the system when a sample rate change is detected. I'm not sure how the applications would handle that. I suspect most will just crash and you will need to restart them. I can try that later today I think, using the PCI interfaces I have.

The AKM you linked to is not the one I was looking at before. This one certainly meets our requirements. Where would you put this?

With the EMU1212 if another app tries to change the sample rate an exception is thrown.
Windows calls a debugger usually drwatson and then closes the offending app. If emu had handled the exception I don't think this would happen. This is how it is with XP on my machine. Because I have VS 2010 installed a different debugger is called and I get a bit more information. ARTA doesn't crash if I change the sample rate in the EMU DSP app.

With the EMU0204 if I change the sample rate in the driver's control panel the sample rate changes in ARTA. I think it comes down to how it's handled by the driver.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I must point out that Win 7 handles audio very differently from XP. XP generally is better for measurement.

I just tried an experiment with the RME, the Juli ARTA and Praxis. I routed the digital output of the RME to the digital in of the Juli@ card. The Juli is set to external clock. The Juli now tracks the clock from the RME. From the control panel on the RME I can switch sample rates at will. I set both Praxis and ARTA to do an FFT and then, while measuring, I switched the sample rate from 192K to 96K. In both cases, except for a bad measurement it all ran right through. I am now setting up a CMEDIA 6631 demo board that has SPDIF in and I'll see what happens.

I must point out that Win 7 handles audio very differently from XP. XP generally is better for measurement.

I just tried an experiment with the RME, the Juli ARTA and Praxis. I routed the digital output of the RME to the digital in of the Juli@ card. The Juli is set to external clock. The Juli now tracks the clock from the RME. From the control panel on the RME I can switch sample rates at will. I set both Praxis and ARTA to do an FFT and then, while measuring, I switched the sample rate from 192K to 96K. In both cases, except for a bad measurement it all ran right through. I am now setting up a CMEDIA 6631 demo board that has SPDIF in and I'll see what happens.

Well that's encouraging. So it's just a matter of getting the drivers right.
This is probably a silly question but is there documentation out there that explains how this is done. I'm wondering if some of the manufacture out there like Steinburg might give us a clue since they so willing share there technologies.

What I would like is a simple logic decode from the essential switches: sample rate, clock source, that can control the ADC. There are really only two practical candidates, the TI PCM4222 and the AKM AK5394A I think. The ESS is unknown and the ARDA seems to be a myth. If there are others it would be interesting to know. This would make it possible for a single PCB to support both I believe.

ARDA ADC at1201 is available from some time now.. see AT1201

not cheap, though.

OTOH DAC at1401 seems to be a myth :)
Valeriano

Have you measured it? The demo boards tend to be expensive and hard to get. I would want independent verification of its performance.

I was pointing out that it's available. that's it.

I know for sure that is used in hi end gear . i.e. M2TECH Joplin 384Khz ADC
FYI some tech specs of this ADC (in this product) pls see http://www.m2tech.biz/joplin.html

there are some review links on the same page, you may get a reasonable performance figure of this chip

regards
Valeriano

I was pointing out that it's available. that's it.

I know for sure that is used in hi end gear . i.e. M2TECH Joplin 384Khz ADC
FYI some tech specs of this ADC (in this product) pls see http://www.m2tech.biz/joplin.html

there are some review links on the same page, you may get a reasonable performance figure of this chip

regards
Valeriano

Whoa. $2,500 for an ADC! I don't see the value...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
However as a recording interface its pretty lacking with single ended -10 dB inputs only. As is its not compatible with any mixers or similar. Its really an audiophile toy for transferring vinyl. But that is the right price for such a toy.

I could find no measurements looking through the reviews.

it's a normal mid-tier price for a professional ADC. DAAD, Metric Halo and Prism all costs more.

Look, I don't care if it's got solid gold traces on the teflon PCB, there is no way that there are $2,500 worth of parts (or even half that much) in that box. I know how much parts cost, and I still say that I don't see the value at all. I guess that's why I do DIY.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.