ShibaSoku Automatic Distortion Analyzer

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It is a model AD725D, S/N is M-61518002

The rep in USA is not able to get us any manuals. Tektronix bought out a repair depot in California and they will calibrate the analyzer (repair as well, I presume?). Of course, they wont give out manual or copies or schematics, either.
Governments should be so lucky with keeping thier secrets.

Thx-RM

I'm particularly interested in the sampling section. Don't see any reason why after sampling the signal can't stay in the digital domain. A DSP can handle the rest. The output from the DSP can be re-clocked to an standard audio sample rate and bit depth, converted to an SPDIF or I2S and sent to a comp via sound card technology. Common sound card apps can be used.The output would be a fixed frequency placed at the best view in a standard FFT app.

It is a model AD725D, S/N is M-61518002

The rep in USA is not able to get us any manuals. Tektronix bought out a repair depot in California and they will calibrate the analyzer (repair as well, I presume?). Of course, they wont give out manual or copies or schematics, either.
Governments should be so lucky with keeping thier secrets.

Thx-RM

Okay I sent the email off we'll see what happens.

ShibaSoku AD725C Input Stage Schematics

Do you have the 725C analog input stage amplifier drawn? Curious what the circuit looks like.

Thx-RM
I have now drawn what I believe to be a close approximation to the input stage schematic (it beats watching the television). I can't identify the input stage part which is marked NEC, A61A, K422 and is in an 8 lead metal can pacakage (TO-99). I haven't included the reed relay drive circuits.

Attachments

• 725C Input Stage schematics.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 316
PChi can you determine the number of sample per cycle the 725 uses? I would like to know what the minimum number required to capture the 5 harmonics is.

I don't know the answer. It has a phase locked loop on PCB A11 that I presume locks to the input fundamental. The voltage controlled Oscillator (QA9) has some range switching and the loop filter includes a multiplying digital to analog converter. I think that the VCO runs at 6 x the fundamental.
It could sample the harmonics directly or mix them down to an intermediate frequency that is then fed to the Analog to Digital Converter. I think that the system relies on most of the fundmantal being rejected by the notch filter. I can't remember what the Analog to Digital converter is but it is pretty ancient so it might only be able to convert at a low frequency hence all the complexity.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I have now drawn what I believe to be a close approximation to the input stage schematic (it beats watching the television). I can't identify the input stage part which is marked NEC, A61A, K422 and is in an 8 lead metal can pacakage (TO-99). I haven't included the reed relay drive circuits.

What are we looking at here?? Input from external source generator (via C52) and filtered output to monitor (via R67) ? Or what? They are all upgradable IC's toachieve lower noise and distortion.
Got pictures of NEC part on the pcb? maybe I can match it up with my pcb for identification.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited: