why NOT ESD tools?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For screwdrivers, tweezers and pliers/cutters, why would one NOT buy ESD safe tools for audio electronics? Even for the slightly higher prices, this would seem to be a no-brainer. I'm outfitting a new electronics bench and plan to invest in high-quality, "lifetime" tools, so your comments will be really useful. Thanks.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi There;

Do you plan on working with CMOS or VLSI a lot; then yes. Mostly bipolars and tubes; no; it would be a waste of money.

MOSFETS; maybe but there are easier ways and most are zener protected. I've built a few MOSFET based amps and serviced others. Other than a mat and wrist strap (and sometimes not even that) I have never blown a device from static. ESD is usually a latent failure. After 10-15 years of service all MOSFETs that I have handled are fine. Again; I do use a mat and wrist strap most of the time.

Good luck.

Matt

If your working in a balloon factory with them inflated or with some nice polyester shag carpet be careful. otherwise just take normal precautions against static discharge. The same would go for filling a gas can in the back of a pickup truck with a plastic bed liner, probably not a very wise thing to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.