Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2018, 01:41 AM   #2501
gazzagazza is offline gazzagazza  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

For my QA400 I'm now also experimenting with Windows 8.1 installed on an external hard drive and booted on a USB 3.0 port. It seems to work quite well and isn't as slow as expected. I have it on an ex laptop 2.5" drive and will move it to an ssd next week.

For those interested you can buy an install key on eBay at present for just a few dollars... They say they are from decommissioned machines. Download the isos from Microsoft and you're up and running.
Old 27th June 2018, 06:54 AM   #2502
chris719 is online now chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Virtualization won't work. The QA401 needs direct connection to the hardware. In virtualization there is an intermediate software virtualizer that simulates the hardware and passes it through. This doesn't work for hardware like digitizers and audio cards that need direct access.
It can work but it's still a mixed bag. I was able to stream 1080p HDTV over a USB CableCard tuner via Windows Media Center in VMWare but had some lip sync issues.

The QA40x is more likely to work precisely because it's not a USB Audio Class device. I find most things that are using bulk or interrupt transfers work well in VMWare because they are common use cases (Mass Storage, HID). Isochronous is always the flakiest.
Old 27th June 2018, 06:58 AM   #2503
chris719 is online now chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

For those having problems with USB dropouts. Download LatencyMon (free) and run that plus the In-Depth Latency Checker and run the Tight Loop Latency Tests. If you can't stay in the green for these you are going to have problems with timely USB I/O. It should help you pinpoint the driver or service causing the issue, but sometimes it's not easy.
Old 28th June 2018, 12:01 AM   #2504
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
What software do you use for multiple boot control?
For Windows only I use EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies which configured the Windows bootloader which does the work. You don't need it but life is easier with it. Systems with Linux I use Grub.
Old 28th June 2018, 12:45 AM   #2505
MarkS is offline MarkS  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, most useful...
Old 7th July 2018, 09:37 PM   #2506
ss2222a is offline ss2222a  United States
diyAudio Member

Hopefully this is the right place in this thread as this is my first DIY Audio post...
I have version 1.615 for my QA401. I've tried to create my own weighting table for ITU-R 468. It tells me that it's not loaded. The included RIAA weighting works fine, even if I modify it. The last time I tried, I got an error that has been logged and I can attach if needed. It seems straight forward. Am I doing something wrong or have I discovered a bug?

QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401Hide this!Advertise here!