Time-view of distortion residual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I am in contact with David from Virtins. I got already a very nice recommendation from him how to get the residual.
After some time to get acquainted with the program I got indeed a result.
It shows clearly the k2 dominance for example of the Aleph 3 but the phase information, k2 negative or positive seems not to be stable over the shown time.
I reasked David, I think he will answer next week at least.
Either I made a fault or the affair is still more complicated, possibly as Jan showed in his last posting you have to choose the fundamental not free but in correspondence to other values. I will try this next days.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
…..here comes the explanation how to get the residual picture out of the distortion data with Virtins Multi-Istruments software inspired by Jan Didden.

Big thanks for the patient explanation over three days from David (Virtins help desk).

If you finds faults or recommend changes I will do this in the pdf.

:D:D

Attachments

• David from Virtins lesson how to make THD residuals (small).pdf
    330.3 KB · Views: 123
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here might by the explanation for the difference that Mr. Pass mentioned....

David from Virtins wrote me just again and will try it these days and implement David's correction for phase looking in the PDF!

"Hi Gerd,

Sorry, I forgot to mention one thing, if you want to compare the filtered data with the original one and make them time aligned, then please note that a FFT filter will not cause any phase shift (i.e. the filtered data are time aligned automatically with the original one), *while the FIR filter will cause a time delay of [FIR order]/2 * [Sampling Interval].* That is, if you use the 1022nd FIR filter window, the data will be delayed for 511 points. *To make the FIR filtered data time aligned with the original waveform, after FIR filtering, you need to go to [File]>[Extract], and save a wave file from the 512nd point to the last point.* Then when you combine the original one with the FIR filtered one, they will be time aligned. **If you are more interested in the phase comparison than the amplitude comparison, probably FFT filter is more convenient.

Best Regards
David"

I am happy he wrote this, it saves me much experiments I planned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.