Clamp & Finish Nailer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Handy for some things .... but I wouldn't use it for that purpose. Glue is what holds the joint, the nail/screw/clamp serves to pull the joint tight and hold it until the glue sets and I don't think brads/nails grip tight enough. Use good clamps.

Reminds me of a time, as a student working the summer as carpenters helper - I had to put in the top hand-rail but the only 2x4 long enough was badly twisted.

The master carpenter told me to find another piece - told him that I could glue it down - he gave me that old-timer look to a green-horn's moronic suggestion, and said "Try it".

Layered it with wood glue and clamped that sucker tight. Next day he came around and released the clamps.

The 2x4 didn't move.

He wiggled it - it did not move.

He yanked it - it did not move.

He yanked it HARD - - it did not move.

He walked muttering something ..............thought he was saying "goddamn kids....."

When building a cabinet, would it be a good idea to have a finish nailer to aid in the glueing process of plywood joints?
I glue, clamp, fire in some brad nails, release clamps and move on to the next joint. Much easier than clamping the wole workpiece. OTOH,you can't easily undo mistakes after using the brad nailer on misaligned joints so double check our work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.