home brew woofer tester

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any idea how to implement
a fast woofer tester ala the WT-3 ?
(works with a 'chirp' rather than a slow sweep)
I have this:
CircuitGizmos - USB interfaces and motion detectors, home automation, electronic devices
which will produce the chirp, and I believe has
ADC and computation enough to do the job,
but no idea as to formulas or even for sure
the hookup ...... Any input appreciated
Using the old method of a slow sweep would be a start ........

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Using slow sweep is easy. You pretty much only need a resistor, some 3.5mm cables and a full duplex sound card (if you are using a laptop then an external one will more than likely be necessary). Use some software such as REW and you can measure the impedance, and use either added mass or delta compliance. It will calculate the T/S params for you.

See here Cables

Tony.

Unless you wanted to do something out of the ordinary, like from an iPad or Linux, they are so inexpensive and the software works so well, just buy one.

I would guess they are using MLS. Sound Easy does it that way for only $350. ( And "easy" is not what I call it) I have the "slow" WT-2 and it is so easy, accurate and versatile, I see no reason to change. I export it's results into SE rather than use SE's method. WT-2 is far more accurate. Can't speak for the WT-3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.