Can i replace my Tektronics O-scope with the DSO Quad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 2cents worth...

This looks interesting, depending on price.
There are a number of Chinese scopes that are small and lightweight with similar basic specs... similar price ranges.
Varying performance in the real world.

The issue I saw with these new little digital scopes is two fold, first they have a lot of aliasing in the trace, this is in part due to the relatively low res screen and lack of an anti-aliasing routine in the display software...

The second issue is just performance, some of them just are not fast enough, and most of them will fry fast with voltages that I routinely put into a Tektronix front end. So, a lot would depend on if they have some reasonable way to clamp overvoltages and/or a fast repair on whatever the first element is in the front end. Both of these are dubious, but possible.

The other thing is that the screens are smallish... and cluttered.
I want to *use* the scope, not push buttons to change stuff... I think I'd want to end up with a large flat screen monitor hooked to this sort of thing.

Small and portable seems nice, but I don't *do* much portable, this is part of more or less fixed bench gear.

Otoh, some of the features, like storage and (not sure if they have it) FFT onboard are nice.

Wonder if anyone has direct experience with it...

_-_-bear

Is your existing scope a real TEKTRONIX, or something named Tecktronics? What is the model number? If Tektronix, maybe making more work space would be better than getting rid of it. Or consider storing it off the bench unless needed, if you have to. Even the big 7000-series Tektronix mainframe scopes can be stood on their rear panels and stored (or used) on the floor, for example. And there are special Tektronix Scope Carts, too. Or, you could get a small, light Tektronix scope, such as a 2235.

That (possibly open-source) DSO project looks very interesting. But it might still be way too incomplete to be usable. It certainly is very, very SMALL, though. Do you have a link directly to only the most-current status of that project? Has the pcb ever been modified to fix the bugs and wish-list items that are listed, at your link? It looks like they didn't even have a way to trigger based on a LEVEL, yet. Or are all of those status items from an older version? Is work still proceeding? It looks like the last firmware update was in April 2012.

Is your existing scope a real TEKTRONIX, or something named Tecktronics? What is the model number? If Tektronix, maybe making more work space would be better than getting rid of it. Or consider storing it off the bench unless needed, if you have to. Even the big 7000-series Tektronix mainframe scopes can be stood on their rear panels and stored (or used) on the floor, for example. And there are special Tektronix Scope Carts, too. Or, you could get a small, light Tektronix scope, such as a 2235.

I got a Tek scope-mobile for my 475. There was another at work headed for e-waste just last week. Are these things I should be rescuing for some of you? If you're willing to pay the freight or are in LA.....

I got a Tek scope-mobile for my 475. There was another at work headed for e-waste just last week. Are these things I should be rescuing for some of you? If you're willing to pay the freight or are in LA.....

I have several but others should want them. Mine are great. the scope bed tilts and locks almost wherever I want, with one-hand operation. And there's a holder hanging underneath that, for a mainframe for the 500-series plugins. And the whole bottom is a nice platform, too. (There are at least several different models of Tek scopemobiles, so others may be completely different.)

FYI: They can be shipped rather cheaply and easily, un-boxed, on cross-country BUSES (e.g. Greyhound). There are bus stations all over the place (e.g. there's one at a gas station within two miles of my house; just look in the phone book, or on line), in the USA. They will put the scopemobile underneath, in the luggage compartment, as is, and you can let the buyer know when the bus will arrive at a station near them.

I've never done it and don't know all of the details and options of the arrangements. But it was discussed on the TekScopes group, at yahoogroups.com .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.