test bench variable psu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all...
im trying to figure out what im looking for so please bear with me. im after a mains to variable psu. ideally id like to be able to test various components and builds troubleshoot with various voltages preferably from 0-240v. does anyone have any thoughts on these does such a device even exist?

You can play it safe and get a huge variac that can handle the full current of your units under test. However in my experience, at least in troubleshooting, the main value of a variac is to bring something up slowly while watching for excess current draw. That level testing is never done at full power draw, at least not in my shop. Once an amp is proven to be stable, then I bypass the variac and connect direct to the mains for full power tests. SO I have a small variac beside me with an 8 amp mains fuse (at 120v mains, I suppose a 4 amp for you at 240) that is sufficient to power up even 2400 watt amplifiers.

Once I know an amp will sit there idling peacefully, and then producing a small amount of watts sinto a load, then I take it off the variac. I can't imagine running 2400 watts out of an amp into load and dialing the mains down while that was going on. A lab might need that capability, but not a general audio shop like mine.

Your 625VA toroids may be able to put out that much power, but they don;t draw that much just sitting there.

I haven;t mentioned a specific spec, because I'd be looking at what I could find and decide if it would meet my needs. I might arbitrarily decide I want a 10A variac, but then I see this 8A unit available cheap locally, and off I go to get it. I have a collection of variacs from small 3A types up to some very large ones, but the 8A unit seems to cover me and not take up the whole bench. Translate those numbers into your 240v world.

Just my opinion, others may disagree.

I would hate to see what will happen once an intermittent blackout occurs to this amp that you've made and to the power socket!!! :confused::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

What size are the filtering capacitors on your amplifier? Matter of fact whats the rest of the amplifier like?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.