another ebay gadget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered one of these testers from Ebay seller "frank-studio*". Shipping to USA (California) took about 1 week via China Post, which is good compared to other shipments I have received from China using the Post. The item was packed reasonably well.

I downloaded the "instructions" from post #10 in this thread, which seemed to be more of an assembly guide but did give some info on conducting tests, and limitations. It's a useful read.

I did a few comparisons of passive component measurements with other equipment that I own. I cannot say that the other equipment is well calibrated enough to be a "reference" but the comparisons should be useful if nothing else.

RESISTORS:
compared with measurements from a B&K 2830 4-digit multimeter:
carbon 5%: TESTER: 17.49k; B&K: 17.32k
carbon 5%: TESTER: 6.21k; B&K: 6.16k
carbon 5%: TESTER: 8.93k; B&K: 8.86k
51k MF 1%: TESTER: 51.26k; B&K: 50.9k
1M MF 1%: TESTER: 1003k; B&K: 993k

CAPACITORS:
compared with measurements done using a Smith and Larson Woofer Tester 2, version 4
10nF ceramic: TESTER: 9.37n; S&L: 9.47n
1uF Alu Electro: TESTER: 2.25u; S&L: 1.12u
10uF Alu Electro: TESTER: 10.23u; S&L: 7.70u
22uF Alu Electro: TESTER: 22.71u; S&L: 13.8u
100uF Alu Electro: TESTER: 101.8u; S&L: 66.7u
6800pF 5% WIMA FKP4: TESTER: 6.71n; S&L: 7.03n
22nF 1% Vishay MKP1837: TESTER: 21.67n; S&L: 22.95n
470nF 2% PP: TESTER: 466n; S&L: 488n
8uF Solen 400V PP cap: TESTER: 7.96u; S&L: 8.16u

Some interesting results. Unfortunately I don't have equipment that is sufficiently new to be well calibrated, and I don't have very tight tolerance references either. What I found was that:
  • For resistors, the TESTER and my old bench meter seem to be in good agreement, with some offset (likely the old meter!).
  • For capacitors, it looks like the TESTER is better than my S&L at measuring capacitors. This is not easy to say for sure, because for the 1% and 2% caps the values are close for both units. But the results for the 1, 10, and 100uF aluminum electrolytic caps seems to be way off for the S&L.

For the low cost of the TESTER, this seems like a great piece of gear to have. It's small, lightweight, and portable. I really like that the TESTER gives me the ESR of the caps when I test them. I would love to see more careful testing of its accuracy and precision, but I don't have the capability to do this kind of investigation. All in all, I am very glad to have this in my toolbox!

-Charlie

TT tester: Is a 12 volt battery OK?

I purchased the Chinese version from eBay My World - frank-studio* via ebay.I have a couple questions.

I have mounted it in a small plastic case where I do not have enough room for a 9V battery inside. I can mount the battery outside the case, but I wonder if this circuit can be powered by a small A23 type 12 volt battery? It would physically mount inside the case OK. In other words, is there sufficient regulation built in to offset the extra 3 volts?
Additionally, when the circuit is activated without any device connected to it, it indicates 32pf residual capacitance. This may be the result of extending the on-board terminals to banana terminals and a transistor socket for more convenient test connections. This is a bit of a concern when measuring small value capacitors? Can this be compensated for or nulled out in some way?Your attention is appreciated.

Calibration proceedure for capacity?

I downloaded the .pdf file and read it. I see references to "auto-calibration" and all kinds of dialog and graphs about calibrating caps, but do not see how to engage it. It reads like something that has to be done from a computer in software. Can you offer any more insight?

Hello.
Newbie here.

I ordered this tester few months ago. It was very usefull and easy to use. I found some bad capacitors with that.

Maybe i have damaged it by testing accidentally some charged capacitor, because now it not work at all. When i push the test button all looks ok. It shows battery voltage on the first line, and "Testing" on the second line. After few seconds display shows "Cell". Same thing is the test terminals shorted or open. Is there anything to do with my little experience?

Thanks in advance.

Has anybody checked if the cheap ones (~USD 12+) can measure SOT23 n-channel JFETs? Specifically, can the units with the SMD pads and the small PQFP microcontroller on the underside, display an Ids-Vgs pair for SOT23 n-channel *depletion-mode* JFETs? It would be great if they could measure Idss as well as Vp, but just one Ids-Vgs pair would be useful for coarse matching of SMD JFETs from tape.

Just a confirmation that the ~$20..$23 version with the brass spacers for the LCD display, green ZIF socket and a socketed DIP ATMega 328 chip can indeed provide a measurement of a JFET Ids-Vgs pair, with Ids ~0.7 mA +/- 0.1 mA. It doesn't show Idss, but this is still good enough to closely match JFETs from the same batch on a tape or reel.

The red LED and the green backlight for the display are much brighter and consume more power than required. I changed the current limiting resistor for the red LED from 3.3k to 10k, and the green backlight from 560 ohms to 10k. It's pretty bright even with those values and a dying 9v battery at ~7v.

Dear friends,

I have purchased a Transistor tester from China through E Bay.
unfortunately the Micro Processor got damaged and I have to replace it with a new one. and the original firmware was lost. I have loaded version 1.08, available from Karl-Heinz Kubbeler, But it is not working as earlier.
The defects of the new firmware are (1) The display time of the result is very small ie about 2 seconds and there afer "Time out " is displayed. (2) Only single measurement is working and again we have to press test button to start the next measurement (3) In the orginal firmware if no component is connected it gave error message "No or damages components " message is displayed. In the present version no such message is displayed, instead some random eading is given and went to "Time out". I the EEPROM data the wording" No or damaged component..." is available.
If anyone have the the original firmware please send a copy to me or advise from where I can get the same

Thank u

With regards

VU3SQM vu3sqm at g*ail dot com

If you have difficulty measuring high resistor value, you should clean your board. The perfect tester is able to measure resistors up to 50 MOhm. You should also try to run the selftest by shorting the three probes. With newer software version the selftest must be confirmed with a new key press within two seconds.
With newer software versions the total selftest runs not with the fully configured tester on a ATmega168. You have to deselect one of the hFE measurement methods to enable the extended selftest function.
With ATmega328 this problem does not exist.
The test parts T2, T3, T5, T6 and T7 should display only low results in row 2 of the LCD. The results are always differences from the expected values in mV units. You find more information in the PDF-documentation, which you can access at the german site:
AVR Transistortester - Mikrocontroller.net
You can find the Documentation of older versions in the directory
Doku/tags . The latest developer documentation you can find in the
Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/ directory (file: ttester.pdf).
Older software versions you can get in the Software/tags subdirectory.
The latest developer version you find in the Software/trunk subdirectory.
For the ATmega328 the developer version can integrate some new functions like frequency measurement and frequency generation.
The frequency measurement needs a little expansion of the hardware to use the PD4 pin as frequency input. The same pin is already used for LCD output!
Best regards, Karl-Heinz Kübbeler

Thanks dear Mr Karl-Heinz
& yes the problem solved,
at this one I use strip board version so there is no jumper in the board :)

I also made the one on the documentation(pdf) with half SMD parts, all work fine.

Thanks for your work & Markus F. too
this is very nice tester, I hope more people DIY it...

Best Regards
John

I bought one that says M168_v2.20. It worked great for a month.
Then I get a 6.3v battery and it goes dead, and that is with a new battery. Ebay seller isn't interested in hearing about it.
Now right from day 1, it never said "bad component" when testing bad components. It would read 1-2 as a capacitor 1.2 pF etc, and ignore the 3rd, when I have a bad transistor clipped across all 3 pins.

What could be the issue ?

Thanks.
Srinath.

I don't know about the M168 version, but I'd recommend the M328 version with the ZIF socket, backlit LCD and brass spacers between the display and the board. It is well-assembled, and two minor mods (mentioned earlier) reduce the LCD backlight current as well as the red LED current, making the battery last forever.

Never try to measure a charged electrolytic with this tester - it can easily cause damage to the analog inputs of the ATMega microcontroller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.