What soldering iron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pedro,
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure how Quick came about. It has been reliable for over a year and I quite like the little thing. With the large screwdriver tip it will handle some pretty big jobs. I originally thought it would be good for surface mount work (it really is), and later found myself using it all the time.

Here's a special that B&D has on for the Hakko fx888D :
Hakko FX888D-29BY FX-888D 70W Digital Display Soldering Station
It's less than $100 US. I would buy a bunch of tips for it like I did for the Quick3104. Got them from Ebay at a big discount. I figured, not much to lose and so far I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I am trying to contact the distributor as this iron was a loaner so I could determine whether to recommend it or not. I better give it back. I was hoping to compare it with the slightly larger model (which is the one I would want). They also have a real handy thermometer to use for setting the tip temperature calibration I wanted to try and maybe buy.

Anyway, long story short. I really like the 3104, and I believe most of us here would also like it. The colours (being two tone grey) are nicer than the Hakko (My first Sony colours) stations. If its a copy, it is a good one. If the Quick blew up tomorrow, I'd be back to my Solomon and the only things I would have to get used to would be the longer warm-up time, and the larger and heavier iron assy. Of course I would report on the demise of the Quick after I take it apart to see what happened.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Avoid the Yihua 908+.

I bought one a few months ago and everything was fine and dandy until one night I left it on for a few hours and forgot about it. Then it no longer would produce any heat but the LED light would stay on. I figured that the switching transistor was blown so I just replaced that right now and it still hasn't fixed it at all.

There is no heatsink at all on the switching transistor.

I'm now on the market for a new temp controlled iron.

Last edited:
I have one at work (my own), another at home and a spare power supply and wand though in 10+ years I've never had a failure. That's how much I don't want to be without it. We've bought 3 at work (besides mine) off eBay for $175, $190 and $250. Also my previous employer has 6 units - all from eBay. I've been soldering 50 years and nothing else comes close. Just my $0.02

As far as I'm concerned NOTHING comes close to Metcal / OKI / Thermaltronics (Basically the same systems).

You can pickup Metcals MX500 systems on EBay for US$100 if your lucky and quick when listed with "Buy It Now"...

STTC - 137 is the best General purpose "Tip" (Chisel type tip)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its that it has its own natural mind for the right power delivery in various situations I think. Nothing to set. I just turn on my PS-900 and I never think about it again. It always delivers correctly. Has very long lasting high quality tips also.

I'm quite fond of my Hakko FX-888D. The interface is a bit unintuitive (requires reading the manual), but not too bad once you get used to it. Heats up quick and keeps an accurate temperature. Tips are easy to come by at a place like Frys, and there's a bunch of different sizes/styles available.

Edit: I had an Aoyue previously, and it was dead in a weekend. We've had a couple at work that failed within a year as well, so I'd avoid the brand.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Salas,
The only thing I can think of is that it has fine temperature control. Otherwise, it can't figure out what you are soldering. I find the Quick3104 to be much like that. I set it for 330 °C and haven't had to touch it between various jobs. It maintains the tip temperature extremely well also.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.