Faulty Dayton WT3...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found the WT3 to be almost useless...
I can only assume mine is a faulty piece of rubbish...
when it works, it works fine... that seems to be about 10% of the time...

Right now, it plays the sine sweep through the connected speaker, but doesn't measure the specs at all! simply says the impedance is anywhere from about 600ohm, to 40,000ohm...

Can't calibrate the leads, as it says the resistance is too high.

Also, my last 5 minutes of frustration, when clicking the "Impedance Sweep" button, the output from the speaker is low, click it again, it gets a bit louder, click it again, louder again....

I've had nothing but issues with it since I first bought it, but as I obviously had to buy it from overseas, I never sent it back, and at the time figured I must have just been doing something wrong... :/

Try...

* Closing unnecessary programs & disabling wireless

* Set the computer
sound output to MAXIMUM

* Start the WT3 program & plug in the usb harness.
Wait FIVE minutes for everything to stabilize before performing the two calibration tests-- calibrating with the supplied resistor & shorting the leads.

Last edited:
I have WT2 upgraded to WT3
Some problems with my stationary PC running XP, switching sound output from analog in game plays to usb digital in the WT. However the same XP and WT on my Mac Bootcamp no problem, as long as I have the volume on max.
Start App
wait 2 minutes
Calibrate leads
Calibrate resistance
It could be a faulty WT in your case but also a picky sound card in your puter. Some few times I have had the resistor calibration but going back and fourth between the lead and resistor have sorted it out

Restarted the computer with the WT3 plugged in... didn't open any other programs... ran the WT3 software, it worked for about half an hour, measuring some inductors and speakers... then it simply stopped working, and started giving nonsense results again.

Microphone volume is set to 1 for the device, speaker output is set to maximum.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Whenever I've had trouble with the WT3 it's always been a Windoze problem. Usually it's because windoze does not set the WT3 (USB audio device) as the input and output device. Often it's the input that doesn't get changed. Check that if you are having problems. It has always worked for me. Under Win 2K I never had a problem, but Windoze XP and 7 can be funny that way.

It's defaulting to the correct device (windows sounds will even play through the WT3 if there's other things playing)

it will often play the sine sweep through the connected speaker, but simply not measure the specs.

As I said, it worked for about half an hour the other day, then without changing anything, simply stopped working.

It’s happened to me several times, too.

What worked was a reboot and another five+ minute wait to let it all stabilize.

After five minutes try shorting the leads again. If the plot shows a bunch of hash, then the system has not yet stabilized..

One incident occurred while unwinding and measuring several inductors. It just stopped measuring. Twice I had to stop , reboot, and wait five minutes. I know… a little bit annoying.

It’s happened to me several times, too.

What worked was a reboot and another five+ minute wait to let it all stabilize.

After five minutes try shorting the leads again. If the plot shows a bunch of hash, then the system has not yet stabilized..

One incident occurred while unwinding and measuring several inductors. It just stopped measuring. Twice I had to stop , reboot, and wait five minutes. I know… a little bit annoying.

Never had to jump thru those hoops with my WT2, which, BTW, is NOT affiliated in any way with the WT3.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you are getting too frustrated with the WT III then I'd suggest downloading REW and making up a simple test cable. It works a treat and gives consistent results :) I used to use speaker workshop but found REW gives much more accurate results with low mass drivers. I use the Wallin II jig (which has a much lower value resistor than suggested in the REW help file) which works fine. example of measurement done using REW --> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...25-4-full-range-build-thread.html#post3089713

Tony.

Did you check to see were Windoze set the record input? Mine seems to NOT like setting it to the WT3, for some strange reason. Output, sure - but not record. Other than that, I've had no problem.

I've plugged it into my desktop again, and failed to get it to give any readings whatsoever!

The little bar graph on the playback device shows its playing a sound, the speaker connected plays that sound.

The bar graph on the record device also shows the input...

I adjusted the levels as it looked like it was clipping... made no difference, the software still shows nothing!

Hi Thy,

I have written a couple of posts here about Dayton WT3. Please search on my name or the WT3.

The issue is almost always Windows settings related. There is also an issue with Windows 7 that is unique in that incredibly Microsoft crappy way that we have become accustomed to in products out of Redmond.

best

My WT3 works for a while and then gives odd results (I noticed when unwinding inductors). I told partsexpress and they sent me out a new one. I took the faulty WT3 apart and resoldered some of the joints and thought i'd fixed it :) - so sold the new WT3, Only to find it's playing up again :(.
I now have a WT2 but it's not the easiest thing to use and I still haven't worked out how to measure inductors with it.
I don't know if the new DATS (Dayton Audio Test System) is more reliable, but you'd think it would be.

I now have a WT2 but it's not the easiest thing to use and I still haven't worked out how to measure inductors with it.
I don't know if the new DATS (Dayton Audio Test System) is more reliable, but you'd think it would be.

I use my WT2 a lot to measure caps and less frequently, inductors. PM me and I'll send you an article I co-wrote with one of the principles of Smith & Larson Audio. It shows how to set up for cap measurements. Inductors are measured with the same calibration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.